Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - how to use house network cabling

Options
  • 13-02-2021 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have signed up for Pure telecom, so expect installation in 2 weeks. As prep I've looked at what network cabling was installed during house build (3yrs old) and pleasantly surprised as have Cat 5e throughout as below. There is coax throughout to attic also, but presume that good for satellite only.

Cable runs as follows:
    • Main Eircom phone pt inside where external elec/eircom panels are in front left room.
    • From here currently connected to both WiFi router there from master phone point on wall, also daisy chained by Cat 5e back to a central hub in middle of house.
    • From here, the phone cable currently connected to 3x phone points there to rest of house (located beside tv points in front left room, front right room, main bedroom beside bed).
    • Also in hub, there are 7 other Cat 5e cables currently unused, one to each of four bedroom tv points, to kitchen and to back room off kitchen tv points, also to a position behind front door.

Wondering how best to make use of the Cat 5e network cabling to have a tidy install and also hardwired network available to devices across site like tv/sat box etc. My untrained thoughts would be the following, however if any network experts could cast their eye and advise, that would be much appreciated.
    • ONT beside main phone point in front room left.
    • Modify Master Eircom Point so Cat 5e to external Eircom network left unused, other (internal to hub) is terminated properly (all cores) to RJ45 wall outlet.
    • Cat 5e/6 from ONT to this wall outlet so connected back to hub.
    • Terminate all the Cat5e cables in hub with RJ45 plugs.
    • In hub, connect this Cat 5e carrying SIRO service to Fritzbox router input port.
    • Connect a router output port to a switch, switch to whichever of the 10x Cat5e cables I want SIRO hardwired to around house (e.g. behind tv direct to Sky box etc).
    • may need WiFi repeater depending on WiFi signal strength from position above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SIRO may tell you where they are and aren't willing to place the ONT. It doesn't have to coincide with the POTS DP from OpenEir.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

ED E wrote: »
    SIRO may tell you where they are and aren't willing to place the ONT. It doesn't have to coincide with the POTS DP from OpenEir.

The POTS DP (presume this is technical name for master phone point) is on inside wall where the Eircom / Power External boxes are, so presume this is the easiest place for SIRO to install the ONT, as the optical just drops down on external wall to floor level then through wall to terminate at ONT. And I thought that would suit me also as can run Cat 5e from ONT outlet, join/connect to the existing internal Cat 5e network from POTS DP, input to router there. Output from router to a network switch connected to to all the cables pulled across house, hardwired network complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Dunno about Siro, but when OpenEir installed here the ONT went into the media press as I had it ducted for this, and had power readily available.
    All switches, router, tuners, etc etc are in the one location and easily available if something needs to be attended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Dunno about Siro, but when OpenEir installed here the ONT went into the media press as I had it ducted for this, and had power readily available.
    All switches, router, tuners, etc etc are in the one location and easily available if something needs to be attended to.

I don't have a duct or an optical line in place to where the Cat 5e house cables are grouped, so don't believe I have much choice for ONT other than inside an external wall of my choice unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Waesfjord wrote: »
    I don't have a duct or an optical line in place to where the Cat 5e house cables are grouped, so don't believe I have much choice for ONT other than inside an external wall of my choice unfortunately.

I had no fibre in place ...... that is provided and terminated by the installers.

You will need power at whatever point is chosen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement