Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS import charges

Options
  • 12-02-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

This may be an impossible question to answer, but I'm hoping that someone with more experience of UK imports using UPS may be able to shed some light.

I just received two packages from the UK via UPS. Not unexpectedly, I had to pay import 'charges' before they could be delivered. In fact, having been unable to contact the central phone number to pay by card, I was left with no choice but to pay cash to the driver. However, the driver was not in a position to explain what the charges were and - as I cannot contact UPS - I wondered if anyone here was able to interpret the import labels.

The contents of the packages are different. One, with some products originating outside the UK or EU, attracted import duty. The other, with products originating in Scotland, did not. However, both labels show "taxes", which don't correspond to VAT, and I cannot work out what they are or how they have been calculated.

On an invoice of total value £264.74, I've been charged €104.57 broken down as follows:

Freight charges 0.00
    VAT 0.00
    Taxes 73.87
    Customs duty 12.55
    Other 18.15

The 'Other' is clearly a service charge of some sort, as it is the same on both labels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Circa €310

Vat €65 on the goods
    Vat €2.50 on the duty
    Vat also on delivery fee - £25 delivery fee?

'Other' is the €15 + vat handling fee.

There should be a yellow sticker on the box with a better breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭meijin

brynne wrote: »
    On an invoice of total value £264.74, I've been charged €104.57 broken down as follows:

Freight charges 0.00
    VAT 0.00
    Taxes 73.87
    Customs duty 12.55
    Other 18.15

assuming applied VAT is 21%?
    invoice value converted to euro with 1.2127 rate(?), so €321.05

|net amount|vat applied
    products| €321.05 | €67.42
    duty| €12.55 | €2.64
    fee| €18.15 | €3.81

so the sum of VAT applied to invoice value + duty + fee = €73.87
    when you add the net value of duty and fee, you get a total of €104.57

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

That's what I love about boards.ie! Thank you so much. I couldn't work out how the figure had been arrived at at all - mainly because of the exchange rate I was using. But then VAT field being blank made me worry that this we wouldn't be able to reclaim anything. All good.

Advertisement