Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The controversy surrounding the Enterprise-F contest/canonicity

Options
  • 12-02-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

The creator of the Enterprise-F/ Odyssey-class (contest run by CBS/Cryptic) was on my Pod this week to chat about her design, the controversy around the contest, and he settles the debate on if she is canon or not. More details in the image below, links:

(I produce the Pod from my studio in Dublin =)

MP3: https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/swj9n6/ShipTalking_Ep14_AdamIhle.mp3

Or get it on the major Pod platforms here: https://shiptalkingpod.com/links

Or just search ‘ship talking pod’ wherever you get your podcasts.

UdcIaYY.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I dont actually remember the controversy over it. Was a nice design. Actually the top 3 finalists were pretty awesome. Must give a listen when free so!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CapnBranFlakes

I dont actually remember the controversy over it. Was a nice design. Actually the top 3 finalists were pretty awesome. Must give a listen when free so!

Sorry! Just seeing this - I usually get emails when there's a reply. Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback if you got to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's ok but I don't think it's a winner. Just something not right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

AMKC wrote: »
    It's ok but I don't think it's a winner. Just something not right.

Enterprise F isn't a bad design, but I feel that it doesn't compare well to the Enterprise E with it's elegant lines and sleek appearance.

If anything, Enterprise F looks like it's actually Enterprise E, but it's put on weight because it has eaten the drive-section of a Galaxy Class :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

"Captain Data was offered command of the vessel, but ultimately refused. (STO short story: "Unexpected Honor")

One of the ship's first engagements was as part of a fleet to retake Deep Space 9 from a brief accidental Dominion occupation of the station. The station was successfully recovered. (STO - Cardassian Struggle mission: "Boldly They Rode")

The Enterprise deployed Shon to an Iconian gateway on New Romulus
    Later the Enterprise followed the RRW Lleiset and IKS Bortasqu' through another gate over the star at the center of the Solanae Dyson sphere and engaged an Undine fleet that blasted its way into the Jenolan Dyson sphere. Shon then became embroiled in a three-way standoff with the other two flagships' captains over political control of the sphere, which was temporarily defused by some fast talking by Rear Admiral Tuvok."

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-F)

You have to laugh at the absolute shite people come up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

If you're making an MMO for Star Trek fans why not?

Evade wrote: »
    If you're making an MMO for Star Trek fans why not?

Why does it matter what the medium is? Awful unimaginative writing is what it is, regardless.

Inviere wrote: »
    Why does it matter what the medium is? Awful unimaginative writing is what it is, regardless.
    It has an over reliance on pre existing characters but I can't really judge how good or bad it is on a couple of summary paragraphs.

It has an over reliance on pre existing characters but I can't really judge how good or bad it is on a couple of summary paragraphs.

I'm all for giving things a fair go, but you need to hook people with a creative, interesting premise when it comes to writing. This falls into the same trap that so much of the non canon fan fic falls into. Lazy shoehorning, tropes galore, and dull uninspired writing. You could write it in your sleep...

Admiral Dax needs help from his old friend Commodore Riker, but standing between the two, stands a deadly old foe. Praetor Tomalok returns! Thought to be dead for decades, it turns out Sela had cloned Tomalok, and using advanced tech from the Tal Shiar archives, Sela was able to restore Tomalok to his former glory. Tomalok, seeking revenge on his old foes, seeks to wipe out the Federation using stolen tech from the Reman High Guard....this new tech, will put an end to all life across the Federation.

Dax and Riker, assemble a motley crew of rogue officers, section 31 operatives, and old friends, hoping to salvage what remains of the USS Enterprise E (badly damaged as a result of the Iconian War), and restore peace to the quadrant.

I don't read it that way at all, the fact that a pre existing character isn't in command of the new Enterprise kind of goes against your point. The worst part of what you quoted was Tuvok "fast talking" he always spoke more deliberately, quick thinking would have been a better phrase. Expanding on the Dyson's Spheres actually sounds interesting to me.

• Advertisement

I don't read it that way at all, the fact that a pre existing character isn't in command of the new Enterprise kind of goes against your point.

Don't forget "Captain Data" turned the command down first. I don't mind expansion upon pre-existing facets of the Trek universe, but why fan fic has to shoehorn in so much of it I don't understand. If this were to happen on TV, it'd be widely criticised as nothing but fan service. Writers have a blank cheque book, with so many concepts to explore, it'd be quite refreshing it they took just a single established hook, and developed something very new and well written around it.

I really don't see the issue of the captain of the recently destroyed Enterprise (before ST:Picard established a new series of events) being offered command of another ship with the same name. Those events aren't a single story they take place over multiple updates.

I really don't see the issue of the captain of the recently destroyed Enterprise (before ST:Picard established a new series of events) being offered command of another ship with the same name. Those events aren't a single story they take place over multiple updates.

As I say, it's textbook fan fic....shoehorning in anything and everyone and lacks creative writing. We'll agree to disagree on it, no sense derailing the op's thread any further

Inviere wrote: »
    As I say, it's textbook fan fic....shoehorning in anything and everyone and lacks creative writing. We'll agree to disagree on it, no sense derailing the op's thread any further

Yeah, I'll absolutely disagree that mentioning a few established characters and events counts as "shoehorning in anything and anyone."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Yeah, I'll absolutely disagree that mentioning a few established characters and events counts as "shoehorning in anything and anyone."

I'm with you there, but a lot can be said about using the characters correctly:
    in a three-way standoff with the other two flagships' captains over political control of the sphere, which was temporarily defused by some fast talking by Rear Admiral Tuvok."

Tuvok?!

Fast-talking?!!

hqdefault.jpg

Really?!!

Rawr wrote: »
    Tuvok?!

Fast-talking?!!

Really?!!
    Having not played the game that could be poor choice of words on Memory Beta's part.

Having not played the game that could be poor choice of words on Memory Beta's part.

I'd be inclined to agree, I've not played the game myself but that certainly could be wording originating from Memory Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I could never get the hang of st online but I did like the story of the disappeared dominion fleet emerging out of the wormhole years after the war ended.

Would make a great movie. Wasn't that fleet large enough to flatten the alpha quadrant?

FGR wrote: »
    I could never get the hang of st online but I did like the story of the disappeared dominion fleet emerging out of the wormhole years after the war ended.

Would make a great movie. Wasn't that fleet large enough to flatten the alpha quadrant?

It was definitely enough to turn the war in favour of the Cardassian Dominion alliance but on it's own probably wasn't enough to take over the whole quadrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It was definitely enough to turn the war in favour of the Cardassian Dominion alliance but on it's own probably wasn't enough to take over the whole quadrant.

I always thought it would have been a big enough fleet to take the Federation effectively out of the war. 2800 ships would immediately make a huge difference followed by the arrival of other fleets. The Dominion in the Gamma quadrant was never damaged, bombed, invaded, etc. It's still a fully functional empire. Would have easily been able to send countless reinforcements. No way the Federation could compete with that.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

I always thought it would have been a big enough fleet to take the Federation effectively out of the war. 2800 ships would immediately make a huge difference followed by the arrival of other fleets. The Dominion in the Gamma quadrant was never damaged, bombed, invaded, etc. It's still a fully functional empire. Would have easily been able to send countless reinforcements. No way the Federation could compete with that.
    If the wormhole aliens hadn't interfered the Dominion would almost certainly have won but as a fleet without support like in the STO scenario it's a threat but not a enough to take over the quadrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So what happens when that Dominion fleet appears out of the Wormhole in the Alpha Quadrant. Did they attack Federation outposts or what did they do for does of us who have never been able to play STO.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Advertisement