Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Large bird takes 2 chickens - Dublin

Options
  • 12-02-2021 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to identify what type of bird just took 2 fully grown hens (rhode island reds) from our garden.

We live in Malahide, Dublin and in the past 10 years (give or take) we have seen very large birds of prey overhead. Sometimes they have taken rabbits but just a few hours ago they took 2 of our hens. We had 4 hens + 1 cock.

Before running outside to chase it away I caught a glimpse of the bird standing up straight on the fence around the chicken run. It was grey and I reckon about 2 feet tall from claw to the top of the head. There is no trace of chicken feathers on the ground so I am assuming the two hens were snatched and flown off.

Was it a buzzard perhaps?

We have a fully grown sussex bantam cock and it was his cries that alerted me but, I am not sure if he should / could have protected the hens?

Update: found 1 of the missing hens in the bushes, still missing the other one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

gleesonger wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to identify what type of bird just took 2 fully grown hens (rhode island reds) from our garden.

We live in Malahide, Dublin and in the past 10 years (give or take) we have seen very large birds of prey overhead. Sometimes they have taken rabbits but just a few hours ago they took 2 of our hens. We had 4 hens + 1 cock.

Before running outside to chase it away I caught a glimpse of the bird standing up straight on the fence around the chicken run. It was grey and I reckon about 2 feet tall from claw to the top of the head. There is no trace of chicken feathers on the ground so I am assuming the two hens were snatched and flown off.

Was it a buzzard perhaps?

We have a fully grown sussex bantam cock and it was his cries that alerted me but, I am not sure if he should / could have protected the hens?

Update: found 1 of the missing hens in the bushes, still missing the other one.

A buzzard has tiny feet and wouldn't be capable of flying away with a chicken. It's possible a escaped bird of prey from a falconer. Harris hawk or red tail hawk but my experience with birds of prey a buzzard native here hasn't the strength to fly away with a full grown chicken. A poult maybe but not a chicken.
    It is possible it dragged it to the bushes in which case then it is a buzzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

A buzzard has tiny feet and wouldn't be capable of flying away with a chicken. It's possible a escaped bird of prey from a falconer. Harris hawk or red tail hawk but my experience with birds of prey a buzzard native here hasn't the strength to fly away with a full grown chicken. A poult maybe but not a chicken.
    It is possible it dragged it to the bushes in which case then it is a buzzard.

Thanks very much for your reply, because of what you said I thought it was more likely the last hen was hiding rather than taken, went out and found her trapped deep down in a ditch. We have a happy flock once again, thanks again.

ACtC-3dfNmx56N3s2-vekZwFVC5gi2KUOrXD4qgeAu372_yM2d-UeQsXDEfWyMIg8KQ9XZGXHpgjpeWbgMcJrh3ne9yoaiUwjhszLeVq1W44b1mO9OrZ6vbyYMMP24u6g2X4nWMl7tlkocznVq52BZZ78HUDvw=w352-h469-no?authuser=0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

gleesonger wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your reply, because of what you said I thought it was more likely the last hen was hiding rather than taken, went out and found her trapped deep down in a ditch. We have a happy flock once again, thanks again.

ACtC-3dfNmx56N3s2-vekZwFVC5gi2KUOrXD4qgeAu372_yM2d-UeQsXDEfWyMIg8KQ9XZGXHpgjpeWbgMcJrh3ne9yoaiUwjhszLeVq1W44b1mO9OrZ6vbyYMMP24u6g2X4nWMl7tlkocznVq52BZZ78HUDvw=w352-h469-no?authuser=0

Ok so was any birds taken and killed ?

Advertisement