Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is society far too reliant on email and texting?

Options
  • 12-02-2021 2:04am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’ve really noticed over the past year, with Covid-19 and the multiple lockdowns, that people are using communications technology for reaching out and working, an€ that’s great, but does anyone else think that the use of texting in particular has got a little out of hand?

People increasingly seem to text instead of making a phone call, which is so much better for reading the nuances in the conversation, or even better face to face with body language and cues very evident, whereas with texting you just cannot really connect on any deep or meaningful level?

Has anyone else had situations when texting a misunderstanding or misrepresentation happened which led to problems and a falling out with a friend or acquaintance all because it was easier to text then to make a phone call to them where the situation would be quickly resolved?

Answers on a postcard, please.... :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

On a serious note I actually have got into trouble over my texts because I can be quite sarcastic sometimes. I don't think we're over reliant on it though, if you think about we've always been reliant on writing seeing as the phone is a very modern invention so for most of our history we relied on writing over face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm amazed I wasn't sacked in my last job for the stuff I emailed, maybe there is a god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Which medium is most effective depends on the situation.
    At work, I can sort a lot of bollocks out by physically calling to the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,200 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JupiterKid wrote: »
    People increasingly seem to text instead of making a phone call, which is so much better for reading the nuances in the conversation, or even better face to face with body language and cues very evident, whereas with texting you just cannot really connect on any deep or meaningful level?
    The vast majority on communication is relaying really basic information.
    Very often, you don't need to gauge a reaction, convey subtle tone, or connect on a deep level.
    If the above applies and you don't need an immediate response then text is perfectly suitable.

"I missed my bus. I'll be home at 6."

That doesn't need to be a phonecall. Waiting to let somebody know in person is pointless. Text is perfect as they can check it at there own time.

Has anyone else had situations when texting a misunderstanding or misrepresentation happened which led to problems and a falling out with a friend or acquaintance all because it was easier to text then to make a phone call to them where the situation would be quickly resolved?

That's usually the fault of the people not the means of communication.

At work, I need everything in writing. If it's not on an email or Teams conversation, it never happened. I work with people in multiple countries so email and Teams messaging are primary communication methods with the occasional online meeting thrown in.
    In my personal life, I do a lot of instant messaging with family and friends. It's very useful. Sometimes people find it easier to say things on a message than on a call. Sometimes during a message conversation it becomes necessary or easier just to hit the call button.

• Advertisement

You say it like it’s a bad thing. Anything that replaces phone calls and meetings is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As technology advances so do our means of communication with one another. It's not that we're reliant, but more to do with our access to new and current innovations that had made communication easier.

I'm still pretty old fashioned though. I prefer sending letters when it involves documentation that needs to get somewhere, but email and texting have made it easier to communicate with people. Especially for people who might not like talking on phones, or who are waiting on a delivery and don't want to wait for it to be posted to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

As part of my ASD I really struggle with making phone calls, and thus I love this move towards text!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Some probably are too reliant but if it doesn't need a phone call, text chat is a much quicker medium for small snippets of info. Also it can be very handy for looking back upon if needed - are you going to make another needless phone call when you forget something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Mellor's example of "I missed my bus, I'll be home at 6" is perfect for text.

However if the conversation then turns into "will you have eaten? If not, are you near a supermarket, there's some things I want you to pick up. Or would you prefer to get a takeout? Chinese or pizza? What time should I order it for?", just pick up the bloody phone.

Similarly if you were making arrangements to meet up. If the answer to "Meet you at the coffee shop at 4pm?" isn't "great, see you then", but starts getting into alternative times/locations/days, a phone call is much faster and easier.

It drives me insane when something that could be a 2 minute phone call turns into half an hour of staring at your phone seeing "So-and-so is typing..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ELM327 wrote: »
    As part of my ASD I really struggle with making phone calls, and thus I love this move towards text!

i actually struggle with the whole lot to be honest, phones drive me insane, delighted with my fitness band, i no longer have to hear my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Depends on the situation. You can't really phone someone for 10 seconds unless you know them really well. It would seem rude. So if you only want to communicate one sentence of information and you decide to phone, you're going to have to chat a bit and it will take longer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in the old days you could post a letter in Dublin in the morning, and receive a reply in the afternoon post.

For those who couldn't wait there were telegrams and messenger boys.

All that's happened since is that now everyone can do what only the rich used to be able to do when they had servants to do errands.

Advertisement