Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geothermal pump - additional meter & timer?

Options
  • 12-02-2021 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

This is the setup adjacent to my geothermal pump in the garage. Timer. Meter. Fuse.

I have an ESB day night meter at the front of the house and there's a control panel inside the house for programming the geothermal pump. There is also a separate fuse for the geothermal pump.

Bit of an ELI5 question but what is the purpose of this setup? Afaik both meters would have been installed the same time.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

47akak wrote: »
    This is the setup adjacent to my geothermal pump in the garage. Timer. Meter. Fuse.

I have an ESB day night meter at the front of the house and there's a control panel inside the house for programming the geothermal pump. There is also a separate fuse for the geothermal pump.

Bit of an ELI5 question but what is the purpose of this setup? Afaik both meters would have been installed the same time.

Thanks.

Ok looking at the setup I'm guessing:
    The timer is to switch the meter from day to night,

That meter is just to record the power used by the heat pump.

The timer should be set to UTC (winter time, all year round) and going from 23:00 to 08:00.

You could see how much the heat pump uses by taking weekly/monthly readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Is it easy to check if Daikan is switched to UTC? I sometimes hear our unit going at around 9/10 at night and occasionally earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

graememk wrote: »
    Ok looking at the setup I'm guessing:

The timer is to switch the meter from day to night,

That meter is just to record the power used by the heat pump.

The timer should be set to UTC (winter time, all year round) and going from 23:00 to 08:00.

You could see how much the heat pump uses by taking weekly/monthly readings.

Its just a timer, a clearer picture of the meter would help

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

47akak wrote: »
    there's a control panel inside the house for programming the geothermal pump.
    Its just a timer, a clearer picture of the meter would help

Yes, A timer, For what?

It has a label on it saying meter, That meter has nothing to do with the esb (no seals, Well plastic ones but not ESBN ones), its a day night like meter.

It needs to know when to record day and night electricity.

The Heatpump has its own control panel in the house, so its not for that.

that's my reasoning for why its for the meter.

I bet if you flicked that breaker the lights would go off, or if you flicked the timer to constant, the top light would go on.

But better photos would go a long way, whats wrote on the wall pointing to the timer?

Advertisement