Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint wooden floor

Options
  • 11-02-2021 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi just wondering has anyone painted there wooden floor and if so how did it turn out, we have a decent wooden floor but herself wants to change the colour to one of the new in fashion grey colours and instead of replacing the floor im wondering is it possible to sand and paint. any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Haven't done it but I'd imagine doable. Any photos of existing, is it solid timber ?
    Ideally sand down to remove existing varnish, prime and paint but hopefully someone who has done it can advise.
    Lots of floor paints out there and remember YouTube is your friend !

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭rodmn2377

DIY KING wrote: »
    Haven't done it but I'd imagine doable. Any photos of existing, is it solid timber ?
    Ideally sand down to remove existing varnish, prime and paint but hopefully someone who has done it can advise.
    Lots of floor paints out there and remember YouTube is your friend !

I'm not sure but think it's a solid floor. I've attached 2 photos there...I've seen loads of different paints but was hoping to see if anyone had any recommendations

Sorry cant add photos for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Yes you can and to make it extra tough, you can put a lacquer over the top, just make sure you don't put an ac lacquer on top of water based paint, it will turn it to sludge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Have painted a few... Sand, prime and use a standard floor paint. I have used Farrow and Ball floor paint before, I think no their satin wood paint is also their floor paint.

Thanks for the replies... is it fairly decent wearing or will it chip easy enough... any particular primer have you used?

• Advertisement

dok_golf wrote: »
    Yes you can and to make it extra tough, you can put a lacquer over the top, just make sure you don't put an ac lacquer on top of water based paint, it will turn it to sludge

What lacquer would you recommend for an area that is well used

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

If it was me, I'd be using oil based paints and primer, something like Coverstain or Bloxx It ( both can be tinted.) " topcoats of whatever oil based finish you want and top it with an ac lacquer ( 2 part) . Fleetwood have excellent oil paints and stock the lacquer ( Sherwin Williams)

rodmn2377 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies... is it fairly decent wearing or will it chip easy enough... any particular primer have you used?

I have only painted bathroom floors, so the level of traffic is probably not going to be as high as a kitchen etc..

I used zinser bullseye primer. Previous house was painted 4 years without any chipping or wear, I gave it a top up coat just before we sold but it wasn't really needed.

Picture attached, I didn't bother sanding the boards when doing this one... They were old unfinished ones which had been mostly protected under plywood and tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah we have the bedroom done with farrow and ball about six years now. Still in decent condition. Could possibly do with a top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Bought a house about two years ago which was a serious fixer upper. Auctioneer had ripped out the manky carpets (was a previous let with lots of random short term clients). Wood floors were in a dreadful state, carpet glue still in place holding us and every speck of dirt to the floor. Our long term plan was a good quality laminate floor but didn’t want to go there as we knew there would be a lot of reconstruction traffic. I sanded the whole lot and gave them two coats of Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint - Slate Grey as a temporary solution. Have to say I was very pleased with the result. It put up with an awful lot of abuse (builders and tradesmen in boots, rubble bags being dragged etc) and was easy to maintain and keep clean. When the builders finally “left” just cleaned it and ran the laminate over it. So a bit different to your requirement but it worked out well for us. If I was doing it for the longer term I would definitely prime the floor after sanding and would seriously consider a very hard sealing top coat/s. Only other comment is that is was very uninteresting to look at, one big slab of boring solid colour every where you looked. It would be fine in a bathroom or small bedroom but I wouldn’t like it in a reception room, front hall or anywhere like that. But that’s down to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

How did you get on?

We have a solid wooden floor running from hallway all the way in a large back open plan room w/kitchen. It appears to be quite thin.

Has anybody successfully recoloured recently? Recommend a service?

Unfortunately it just no longer suits some of the colour schemes we wish to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Triboro

Floor needs to be sanded back to bare wood and then stain it to the colour you want it and then

finish with the lacquer.

Advertisement