Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor training

Options
  • 11-02-2021 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all I’m a newbie to cycling. Did rowing for years but numerous factors have now turned my mind to cycling. Have a decent bike and a basic smart trainer - just wondering which subscription service do people find best - zwift or TrainerRoad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,345 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TrainerRoad has much lower tech set up costs - pretty much any android phone will run it. Zwift quickly becomes device and TV upgrades.

People more qualified than me rate the TrainerRoad training plans more highly than zwifts, but certainly TrainerRoad more easy to navigate, and has more tools on the website. I've tried a few zwift workouts, and they're a pain to find compared to TrainerRoad and I didn't like the interface as much.

On the positive side, I enjoy the social aspect, and the racing and events on Zwift. I've used TrainerRoad for a few years at this stage. I only joined zwift at the start of Lockdown 1. I started casting my phone, but that didn't cope with larger events. So I got AppleTV. Then I wanted a larger TV. Then I needed a bluetooth HRM for racing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    TrainerRoad has much lower tech set up costs - pretty much any android phone will run it. Zwift quickly becomes device and TV upgrades.

People more qualified than me rate the TrainerRoad training plans more highly than zwifts, but certainly TrainerRoad more easy to navigate, and has more tools on the website. I've tried a few zwift workouts, and they're a pain to find compared to TrainerRoad and I didn't like the interface as much.

On the positive side, I enjoy the social aspect, and the racing and events on Zwift. I've used TrainerRoad for a few years at this stage. I only joined zwift at the start of Lockdown 1. I started casting my phone, but that didn't cope with larger events. So I got AppleTV. Then I wanted a larger TV. Then I needed a bluetooth HRM for racing...

I have a 32" monitor for work and connect my phone directly to that. Use mobile data and have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

It’s training and performance I’m looking for so maybe TrainerRoad would be the better option. I’m used to spending hours in front of a screen on a concept 2 rower so shouldn’t be a problem. One thing I’m noticing is - on the rower I could spend an hour at 175 watts where I’m only managing 120 on the bike. I’m finding higher cadence really uncomfortable too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,345 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dinneenp wrote: »
    I have a 32" monitor for work and connect my phone directly to that. Use mobile data and have no issues.
    Well it was a 19 inch tv, but casting the phone worked fine until I was doing events in "peak zwift", like Haute Route. Even the second stage, where they had split down the pens, casting was too much.
    nqtfarmer wrote: »
    It’s training and performance I’m looking for so maybe TrainerRoad would be the better option. I’m used to spending hours in front of a screen on a concept 2 rower so shouldn’t be a problem. One thing I’m noticing is - on the rower I could spend an hour at 175 watts where I’m only managing 120 on the bike. I’m finding higher cadence really uncomfortable too
    I have referral codes for TrainerRoad, if you pm me your real name and an email address.

fwiw, I subscribe to both at the moment. I use TrainerRoad for my training, and then do some of the events/ social rides/ races on zwift. I'll reassess zwift if/ when I can get my cycling social and competitive needs met outside, but TrainerRoad will be staying!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    on the rower I could spend an hour at 175 watts where I’m only managing 120 on the bike. I’m finding higher cadence really uncomfortable too

Surely the rower is only measuring half the cycle whereas the bike is continuous power, so probably slightly less than the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

ED E wrote: »
    Surely the rower is only measuring half the cycle whereas the bike is continuous power, so probably slightly less than the bike.
    That’s what I was thinking but when you factor in the full compression of your legs, and the power delivered by your back and arms I’m delivering more power than the bike. I’m defo used to grinding on the erg rather than spinning on the bike,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 James 701

I got my first indoor bike trainer in January. Free subscription for Rouvy. It works well but not many views of your race. I think zwift has above views and backward views. I will stay with it for 1 or 2 months paid. Then look around in October.
    I have a very basic speed sensor only set-up.
    But definitely I am getting more exercise. A great investment.

Advertisement