Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The attic tank , insulation and beneath

Options
  • 10-02-2021 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭

So plenty of threads and conflicts on this. But starting to think about sorting out the attic stairs airtightness and the the gaps below the attic tank and above the hot press.

Presently the hot press has number of gaps where pipes come in and out and I've left them there to date there is also no insulation below attic tank so the ceiling is bare. Meaning heat from the hot press area can travel up. Losing heat from the hot press and back hall area but keeping the tank from freezing.

What is the the latest approach to keep tanks above freezing and seal and insulate around the area. Is there a best practice.

Goal here is to slow or prevent heat loss from our rear hallway, back door. It's pissing out the ceiling area with the attic ladder there too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Plumber brother i law told me never to insulate under a water tank. Let the heat travel up to keep it from freezing. I have insulation boards glued to form a box around my tank with a big piece on top as a cover. This should also slow down any heat loss from below Using expanding foam on the gaps in the hotpress will make a big difference though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would just insulate the tank itself (and obviously any pipes up there) otherwise you basically have a radiator in your attic which isn't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Treat the tank area as part of the hot press
    Insulate upto and over the tank to prevent heat from hotpress escaping and cold air from the attic area entering the hotpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/d1ec3-technical-guidance-document-g-hygiene/

page 6 of the above building regulations TGDs show you how to do it

Advertisement