Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance for baby

Options
  • 10-02-2021 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

We are expecting a baby next month, trying to figure out if it's worth/necessary to get health insurance for the newborn and how we'd go about it.

We both have Irish Life Health insurance, if we wanted to include the baby, would that be an add on to one of our policies, or a full new dependant? Is the price normally the same as an adult?

Is it even worth it?

Any help/opinion appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

You can usually add the baby on as a dependant for free until the next renewal date. Just contact them within the first 13 weeks.

My 2 kids premiums are around €400 each versus €2.4K for the adult policies (it’s a work paid policy).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ucsie wrote: »
    We are expecting a baby next month, trying to figure out if it's worth/necessary to get health insurance for the newborn and how we'd go about it.

We both have Irish Life Health insurance, if we wanted to include the baby, would that be an add on to one of our policies, or a full new dependant? Is the price normally the same as an adult?

Is it even worth it?

Any help/opinion appreciated.

You can pick any policy you want and it’s free until your renewal. I would recommend “best ultimate active”.
    You can claim €100 back on a car seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

As above. It’s free until renewal, so wouldn’t make sense not to do it initially anyhow. You can put them on the most expensive plan there is. Can be handy. My newborn had to have a tongue tie release for example and I was able to claim most of it back. I know plenty people who don’t bother with health insurance for their kids, but it’s not that expensive, I wouldn’t be without it personally

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

Thanks everyone, good to know it's free until the next renewal date, that gives us extra time to research all available plans.

Advertisement