Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinding Tool Question

Options
  • 10-02-2021 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi.
    Im using a grinder for the first time. Which way up do the discs go? I have some discs with a raised middle. Does the raised middle face the grinder??
    The one i need to use first is a plain disc for wood. It does not have a raised middle or metal ring in middle. Its completely flat with writing on one side. Does the writing face the grinder or other way up?
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The raised centre goes onto the spindle (gearbox of grinder) then nut on outer side of disc.

I would urge you to put up a pic of that 'wood disc'

Writing would be visible when holding the machine in the use position.

Treat machine with caution - they can do serious damage. Look at some vids first.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    The raised centre goes onto the spindle (gearbox of grinder) then nut on outer side of disc.

I would urge you to put up a pic of that 'wood disc'

Writing would be visible when holding the machine in the use position.

Treat machine with caution - they can do serious damage. Look at some vids first.
    Hi.
    Thanks for that. Does the raised metal bit face the grinder or away from it?
    This is what im using for wood
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bosch-wood-nails-multi-wheel-4-115mm-x-1-x-22-23mm/641fx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

The one i need to use first is a plain disc for wood. It does not have a raised middle or metal ring in middle. Its completely flat with writing on one side. Does the writing face the grinder or other way up?

According to the short video on the link ye provided? The writing clearly faces away from the grinder.

Sorry i didnt even know there was video there. Thanks. What about discs with raised middle or metal ring in centre. Do they face away from grinder too???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

As Gen. Zhukov said, above: The steel ring faces the grinder. The idea is that you'll be looking at the disc, in place, with that small bowl in the middle.

Put the round nut, with the holes in it, on the threaded rod and screw it down with the spanner, whilst holding the button on the back in with your finger.

Listen; Grinders really are some of the most scary tools. Might it not be better to simply pop into a shop, or find someone used to them to Show you?

And, what ever else ye do? Wear hearing and eye protection. Full face visor, preferably. But, yeah, asking an experienced user to show ye the ropes would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Sorry i didnt even know there was video there. Thanks. What about discs with raised middle or metal ring in centre. Do they face away from grinder too???

[IMG][/img]ag-disc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Stigura wrote: »
    As Gen. Zhukov said, above: The steel ring faces the grinder. The idea is that you'll be looking at the disc, in place, with that small bowl in the middle.

Put the round nut, with the holes in it, on the threaded rod and screw it down with the spanner, whilst holding the button on the back in with your finger.

Listen; Grinders really are some of the most scary tools. Might it not be better to simply pop into a shop, or find someone used to them to Show you?

And, what ever else ye do? Wear hearing and eye protection. Full face visor, preferably. But, yeah, asking an experienced user to show ye the ropes would be great.

I second this, if you don't know how to put a disc on a grinder, you really shouldn't be using it, you can do yourself a lot of damage if that disc comes off or shatters!

I second this, if you don't know how to put a disc on a grinder, you really shouldn't be using it, you can do yourself a lot of damage if that disc comes off or shatters!

I know how to put a disc on I was simply asking which side up it goes. Job done and all is good. Thanks for all the info.

Advertisement