Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen counter tops - Robson or standard

Options
  • 10-02-2021 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi

Bit of advice needed - I need to change my kitchen counter top. I am torn between the Robson Oak or a similar colour standard counter top.

Does anyone have this Robson range and if it justifies the extra money? Will be 1000 e more than the standard counter top offering...

Thanks
    Maura

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Are they both standard bullnose worktops or does the more expensive one have a square edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

More expensive one has a square edge - cheaper model round edge. Does that make a difference...

Yup, square edge is what's bumping up the cost.

I'm guessing you have an island or peninsula if it's bumping up the cost by a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

Correct - Small island unit.
    I just want to understand if it is just an aesthetic piece - or if its really a difference in quality? TBH - I dont think I would notice a square or rounded edge unless its called out to me...

Guessing the square edge is a micapost worktop, in which case the edging is generally thicker so it should stand up to a few more knocks.

Depending on the fitter the cheaper bullnose worktop might mean aluminium joining strips and end caps. Not necessary on the square edge worktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I have seen the leading edge worktops fail at the edges, the bullnose is a continous layer of melamine so there is less chance of water getting into the worktop.

How many lengths of worktop are needed, €1000 is a big difference

For an extra grand I'd guess 2 or 3 600s and a 900.

My leading edge is still going strong after 4 years of abuse. I know of lots of other lengths with no problems. The only one I wouldn't touch is the gloss black, it scratches to hell and back.

Advertisement