Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is multiple PAYG Electric Meters possible for one connection?

Options
  • 10-02-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi a family member has 2 properties which include the main family home and less than 100 yards away another building that is broken into a small studio apartment and the other part is a 2-bed room apartment.

As things stand, the studio apartment is part of the 16kva connection of the family home and they got a new connection from esb networks for the 2-bedroom apartment which was also 16kva.

The studio apartment is an old school pay as you go meter coin machine and the 2-bedroom apartment has a digital card pay as you go meter. Their intention is to change the studio apartment to be part of the new connection so both the studio apartment and 2-bedroom apartment are in the same connection. This would mean there are 2 PAYG electric meters for the same connection; is this possible?

They also have a small house about less than 100 yards away from the studio and 2-bedroom apartment that they want to convert to a small studio apartment. Essentially what their looking to do is have all 3 (the small studio apartment, other small studio apartment and 2-bedroom apartment) all part of the newer 16kva connection but have PAYG electric meters for all 3. Is this possible?

I told them to call esb networks to double check but would be handy to get peoples thoughts here too. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

They definitely need to call ESB networks. Sounds a very unique setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

alan4cult wrote: »
    They definitely need to call ESB networks. Sounds a very unique setup.

Okay thanks for the advice and I will let them know.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

beya2009 wrote: »
    Essentially what their looking to do is have all 3 (the small studio apartment, other small studio apartment and 2-bedroom apartment) all part of the newer 16kva connection but have PAYG electric meters for all 3. Is this possible?

The issue that you may encounter is that a single 16kVA connection may not have sufficient capacity to supply 3 separate premises. This is what you need to look at first. If there are no instantaneous showers, electric hobs / ovens / cookers, EV charging points then it is more likely to be possible. Rather than be charged monthly for three PAYG meters you could simply purchase your own and set the rate per unit accordingly. I think it would be best to do some homework before contacting ESBN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Can't see it being realistic to run the 3 off a 16kva supply
    , there'd be too many restrictions overall

2 maybe depending on the the heating etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Pinergy will let you have more than one pay as you go meter ran off an esb meter, whether the loading and all that is right is another issue.
    I've worked on jobs that are set up as share houses where each bedroom has its own mini board and pinergy meter, ran from one esb meter. Probably not feasible for three separate units with kitchens etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

kramer1 wrote: »
    Pinergy will let you have more than one pay as you go meter ran off an esb meter, whether the loading and all that is right is another issue.
    I've worked on jobs that are set up as share houses where each bedroom has its own mini board and pinergy meter, ran from one esb meter. Probably not feasible for three separate units with kitchens etc

How does Pinergy payg meters and Esb meters work in tandem?

Who pays what to whom? Not familiar with that setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Hmob wrote: »
    How does Pinergy payg meters and Esb meters work in tandem?

Who pays what to whom? Not familiar with that setup?

Short answer is I don't know. I'd assume the pinergy meters have a sim card that communicates with their network, identifying which meter used what.

Customer buys credit off pinergy, either on line or at a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

Thanks for the replies lads.

Both apartments have a power shower each but the cookers are electric and kerosene central heating used for both. They would be delighted if the studio apartment could be added to the new connection if it would work that they each have their separate payg electric meters. And then they can do a new small connection for the other studio apartment they want to have finished in the next 3 months.

They were telling me the 16kva new connection cost them around €1,450 so I would imagine a new connection for a small studio apartment that would also have a power shower installed should not be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

2011 wrote: »
    The issue that you may encounter is that a single 16kVA connection may not have sufficient capacity to supply 3 separate premises. This is what you need to look at first. If there are no instantaneous showers, electric hobs / ovens / cookers, EV charging points then it is more likely to be possible. Rather than be charged monthly for three PAYG meters you could simply purchase your own and set the rate per unit accordingly. I think it would be best to do some homework before contacting ESBN.

Sorry for hijack, but from experience would you or other posters have any meters you would recommend for sub supplies? Preferably CT.
    Thanks

Advertisement