Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Phone & Broadband Installation

Options
  • 10-02-2021 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Guys'

So having a spot of bother at the moment; I am trying to get a landline phone connection installed.

Reason being is that I am in Rural Ireland and there is currently works underway for the National Briadband plan in my area.
    I was talking with the lads a few days back and they told my they are piggy backing off the existing copper lines & infrastructure.

This seems to be the case as I can see trees have been cut back in the area and conduits between poles down the road have been cleaned out with draw wires installed

My house is new and there is ducting running from the ecabinet to the perimeter of the property. Down the road approx 400m there is an existing Eir Line; so I take it I would need a Pole on my property to join up to the existing network.

Now when I contact Eir they say they cant find my postcode on there system (New Build never had a landline previously); so I guess I have a bit of a chicken an Egg situation here.

My question is I thought Eir had to provide you with a connection similiar to the Electricity setup?

What I am trying to avoid is the Fibre Broadband installation progressing all around me; but then when it gets switched on I cant get access to it as I dont have the copper line installed.

How do I go about getting the copper line installed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Now when I contact Eir they say they cant find my postcode on there system (New Build never had a landline previously);

If your Eircode is new itll take a few months to appear on the APQ.
    My question is I thought Eir had to provide you with a connection similiar to the Electricity setup?

They used to, no more.

If it was a case of 20m and one span you might get one. 400m expect a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Cheers for the update; Eircode is in the System 18 months at this stage.

Strange thing is I had them out at the property previously; after talking with the tech at the time I realised I need a new duct installed to move the pole away from the driveway.

Done all of this and now trying to get them back and they wont.

Is there anything that can be done here ? Happy to use alternative suppliers.

Also do EIR still own and Operate the Network or has it been sectioned off to another company?

This happened with the ESB I believe and EirGrid (No connection to EIR) operate and manage the Electricity Network

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

ED E wrote: »
    If your Eircode is new itll take a few months to appear on the APQ.

My house was built in the 80's and my Eircode is not found by the €ir system. Funny thing is though, when I enter my landline, which I had disconnected maybe 8 years ago, it shows a result! And yes, the result is, NO broadband available in your area. And no, the number is not re-allocated to another premises. I checked.

It used to show ADSL - but I guess nothing lasts forever... :mad:

g

• Registered Users Posts: 15,526 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What I am trying to avoid is the Fibre Broadband installation progressing all around me; but then when it gets switched on I cant get access to it as I dont have the copper line installed.

Simple answer, you don't require a copper line to have a fibre line installed from NBI. They're just using the existing eircom poles, that carry the existing copper lines, to carry the new fibre cable, that's all. NBI will pay an annual fee to eircom per pole to string the fibre cable along the poles and likewise to use eircom's ducting between poles. No connection between the copper network and the fibre network, in fact copper may be gone in the next 5 years.

Where there are no eircom poles between your property and the nearest eircom pole NBI will install their own poles, for 400m I assume up to 8 poles will be required.

Input your eircode on the NBI website to see what the current situation is regarding the NBP rollout in your area, https://nbi.ie/map/. If it doesn't recognise your eircode contact them via twitter/facebook etc.

The USO for a landline changed back in 2016 - https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/universal-service-requirements-provision-access-fixed-location-afl-uso

An eircom pole costs in the region of €600, having to install a number of poles increases the cost quiet a bit alone before other costs are added in.
    - At premises where affordable voice services are provided on a commercial basis over an alternative wired network, the USO does not apply.

- At premises where affordable mobile voice services are provided with good indoor coverage, the cost threshold for the USO is reduced from €7,000 to €1,000.

- At premises where wholesale broadband connections are available over an alternative network, but affordable voice service is not provided on a commercial basis, the USP need not invest in its own connections but is free to procure a wholesale connection and use voice over internet protocol (“VoIP”) to provide the required voice service.

NBI also has a USO of €5,000, beyond which the end-user will have to pay any additional installation cost - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115977667

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Thanks Lads all good solid information here;

On the NBI Map we are due for connection Dec 21 to May 22.

With the additional 4 pole required to connect my propoperty to Fibre when the time comes; Will I be required to pay the fee for the additional poles ?

Or would this fall under the NBP rollout costs?

With the additional 4 pole required to connect my propoperty to Fibre when the time comes; Will I be required to pay the fee for teh additional poles?

No, only if the overall installation cost to NBI exceeds €5,000

Advertisement