Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council

Options
  • 09-02-2021 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All, You may be able to help.

I am helping my brother in law downsize his house. He purchased the house from the Dublin City Council in 1981.

He has been informed by his solicitor that he needs permission from DCC to sell the property. Is this normal as he purchased the house 40 years ago and has always lived in it.

Stay Safe

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is normal that there is a covenant that the first resale must be to someone with a 'housing need' - obviously not the same definition as for going on the housing list; but to try ensure the house doesn't become a private rental.

Two/three years ago when my brother bought a first resale of an ex-DCC property, they took his Sale Agreed on his prior house as sufficient.

The covenant expired on that sale. He also bought out the freehold - ~40 years may be recent enough that it was sold freehold, but its worth checking - for a derisory sum, but it takes a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Yep, I bought my house in 2020 from the original person who purchased it from the council and consent was required. In my case it was just completing a form with my circumstances and stating that I planned to live in it and not rent it out (not that anyone has checked). Some other things carry over too, I’m not allowed keep pigs or poultry and have to grant the council access to my drains if required (presumably at some point some houses would be council and some private and the council would have responsibilities to their tenants with regard to drains etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Darrio

Many thanks for your replies

Stay Safe

Advertisement