Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken drawer

Options
  • 09-02-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just want to get an idea of what people would consider wear and tear. The fridge in the house had a cracked shelf when we moved in, and let them know about it. But recently I was taking a drawer out of the freezer and the front of it snapped. Would this be considered wear and tear? Or should I locate a replacement drawer.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

Would you not just get a replacement drawer or try glueing it back together?, it will wreck your head otherwise or it would mine anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I wouldn’t consider it wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

Entirely depends. Is it the cheapest fridge freezer which they could find to stick into the rental house and is 10 years old?

Or is it a brand new Neff that you pulled too hard on and broke?

I'd be inclined to just glue it back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

If it broke due to the plastic being cheap or is getting brittle due to it's age it is definitely not your fault and would count as wear and tear. The landlord may not see it like this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a replacement drawer; getting a 2nd hand shelf will be cheaper than the LL sourcing an OEM shelf from the manufacture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ronald Franz

I wouldn't put it under wear and tear. These drawers are more commonly broken due to opening and closing when there is too much frost/ice around the shelf due to lack of maintenance.

That is if I were bothered about it. I would glue it together before I'd source a replacement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mimon wrote: »
    If it broke due to the plastic being cheap or is getting brittle due to it's age it is definitely not your fault and would count as wear and tear. The landlord may not see it like this though.

The plastic in any CE marked product will be to a sufficient standard. Its not fridge from Wish.

Not Wear and Tear in my book either OP.
    I have fridges in my rental that went in back in 2006. Once looked after and maintained (don't let the frost build up over the drawers) they will last a very long time.
    Also, if you glue it back together then you are altering it also. This may pose a problem in the future especially if it breaks again and cuts a child etc

Appliances should be functioning correctly in a tenants house IMO and this is the LL's responsibility, but if the tenant broke it, the tenant replaces it.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Thanks,

I glued it back together, but sourcing a replacement is tricky. Only way I've seen to get the exact same one is to order all three for ~€110. The fridge/freezer is a zanussi and about 10 years old I say. I'll keep looking for just the drawer that's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

calnand wrote: »
    Thanks,

I glued it back together, but sourcing a replacement is tricky. Only way I've seen to get the exact same one is to order all three for ~€110. The fridge/freezer is a zanussi and about 10 years old I say. I'll keep looking for just the drawer that's broken.

Go to a recycling centre or the likes of Power City, they'll give them away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

calnand wrote: »
    Thanks,

Check Powercity/DID etc Recycling bins and keep an eye on adverts.ie

You can also check out eSpares website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

I moved out of an apartment a few years ago and the management company took the price of broken fridge drawers off my deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If it is a Bosch, this may be a design flaw; the fronts came off the drawers of mine within two years.

I still have the freezer and it's going strong, ten years later; but the joints of the drawers are held together by Duck Tape.

So yes, it's wear and tear. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Thanks for the suggestions of the electrical and council recycling centres.

Advertisement