Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Bar stools - with back or backless?

Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭ yellow hen

Has anyone regretted their choice of bar stool? I'd rather backless. Does anyone actually lean into the back anyway? I'd imagine you lean forwards onto the island? Have your kids fallen off backless?

Comments

• The first thing you need to get right is the height of the seat. There are so many different heights from 500 to 900mm high.

IMO, between 600 and 650mm seat height is the ideal if your island is the same height as your kitchen counter tops. If its a split level island, obviously go higher.

I've just changed my kitchen, had backs on the previous stools, and definitely wanted seat backs again. It took me (well, my wife:D) a while to find the perfect stools for us, but I would find backless very uncomfortable in a very short time.

• I prefer backs. We'll occasionally have a drink at the island, and you tend to swivel towards each other. I like to lean back then if I can, as you can't lean down on the island as much.

Definitely agree on making sure the seats are the right height!

• Thanks guys. I hear you both on the height. I had been leaning towards backless but you're changing my mind now. Tempted to just buy some old second hand ones to trial them first before we make the spend.

• I would get backs. I've seen a few people fall off the backless type in pubs after one too many.

• Would love any bar stool to be honest.

• Advertisement

• yellow hen wrote: »
    Has anyone regretted their choice of bar stool? I'd rather backless. Does anyone actually lean into the back anyway? I'd imagine you lean forwards onto the island? Have your kids fallen off backless?

What's a bar?

• Kit kat is a bar, and i use ones with backs, lowered all the way down its still high to mount.

• Deffo get one with backs

This is the nature of war. By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself.

Advertisement