Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting new router - VM Internet/coax

Options
  • 09-02-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hi there

My VM connection is so unstable and I need something solid for taking calls in work during the day, I tried everything - rang VM and no real solution, bought extender and didnt fix it so now I am after getting a new router to see if this helps

I had hoped I could discard the old one and plug in the new one and maybe it would fix the issues

The issue is that the router does not have a coax connection (link below to model) so i am not sure how to connect?

I can connect a cable to one of the ports on the old dodgy one and connnect to it that way but then I see two networks (my original VM one and now my new one), so I am not sure if this will solve the problem or if the router will in fact just become sort of an extension of the old dodgy one?

If anyone is able to help or advice that would be great, no other ISP in my apt block so am stuck with VM and it is driving me mad.

https://www.komplett.ie/TP-Link-Wireless-AC1750-Router-Archer-C7/80011099/product?channable=009747696400383030313130393917&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiIfZ2P_c7gIV_QIGAB1GUg98EAQYBCABEgI3CvD_BwE

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You've fairly misunderstood how this works with VM.

The TP-Link router you have is only a router, not a cable modem.

And even if it was it still wouldn't work. Only VM allowed cable modems are allowed to operate on their network. So you still need to use their provided router/modem.

The best approach is to put their supplied router into modem mode, and connect the new router to it via it's WAN port. It'll then pick up an IP from VM, and act as the public face for your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

thanks for the help!
    will try figure out how to put the VM router into modem mode next!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

thanks for the help!
    will try figure out how to put the VM router into modem mode next!

Depending upon which modem/router they sent, it could just be as simple as selecting modem mode on the modem/router settings page.

Advertisement