Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeze coming through sockets

Options
  • 09-02-2021 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi
    I am hoping somebody can help me. We have a fairly new house 5 years old. But I have noticed a fair breeze coming through our sockets, mainly ones which are on outdoor walls. I couldn't understand where the breeze was coming from and when I went looking I realised it is through the sockets, most of them. Is there any way I can combat this or why is it happening?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

You have to find out the source of the breeze The breeze is coming from the tand finding its way to the sockets. Are the walls slabbed? Is there a vent in the wall to the outside; if there is that is usually the culprit. Check that the vent is linked by piping from room vent to outside vent. If not get a piece of pipe and link it and perhaps insulate all around the pipe; or even (carefully) use expanding foam

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Is the house timberframe or block construction?

If timberframe then the draft may be coming through the socket backbox, either through a damaged vapour barrier, or because of a non-existent vapour barrier (hopefully not!). It could also be coming down the conduit, which is a much easier fix, as you can seal around the end of the conduit with builders caulk or similar (NOT expanding foam or silicone).

If block construction, it's almost certainly coming down the conduit, same cure as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭michdee

Thank you for the replies. The house is blocked and all walls are slabbed with insulation slabs then. Its a fair breeze that's coming through. So chaulk would be good to seal the conduit? Will check that out, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Are upstairs sockets worse? Draft could be coming through the attic.

michdee wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies. The house is blocked and all walls are slabbed with insulation slabs then. Its a fair breeze that's coming through. So chaulk would be good to seal the conduit? Will check that out, thanks

Yes (obviously make sure power is off first!) seal around the cable where it leaves the conduit, and leave the faceplate off until the caulk sets - otherwise, when you push the faceplate back, the caulk will just get pushed out of the conduit. An even better solution is to seal the top of the conduit, but this is often not possible. If the house is two-storey, the conduit will almost certainly be between the floors (and inaccessible) or if it is a bungalow, it will be in the attic - sometimes accessible, sometimes not. The worst draughts are usually when the conduit is in the attic.

Don't use silicone sealant or expanding foam, as they can damage the insulation on the cable.

• Advertisement

alan4cult wrote: »
    Are upstairs sockets worse? Draft could be coming through the attic.

All sockets on outside walls upstairs are perfect, its the sockets down stairs that are the problems......

RandRuns wrote: »
    Yes (obviously make sure power is off first!) seal around the cable where it leaves the conduit, and leave the faceplate off until the caulk sets - otherwise, when you push the faceplate back, the caulk will just get pushed out of the conduit. An even better solution is to seal the top of the conduit, but this is often not possible. If the house is two-storey, the conduit will almost certainly be between the floors (and inaccessible) or if it is a bungalow, it will be in the attic - sometimes accessible, sometimes not. The worst draughts are usually when the conduit is in the attic.

Don't use silicone sealant or expanding foam, as they can damage the insulation on the cable.

Excellent thank you, I will definitely check this out. The upstairs sockets are perfect, its just the downstairs sockets that are the problem.

All sockets on outside walls upstairs are perfect, its the sockets down stairs that are the problems......

Almost certainly an issue with something between your floors then - could be a pipe or vent that's not sealed, or, as I see in lots of houses, a building void that joins the floors with no break between. Could also be a joist penetrating the internal leaf of the wall not closed off - especially if you have insulated slabs downstairs, meaning your cavity is probably open.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Get some childproof socket covers? A little ventilation in each room is important so dont seal off too much? Modern houses seem to be 'airtight'.

Almost certainly an issue with something between your floors then - could be a pipe or vent that's not sealed, or, as I see in lots of houses, a building void that joins the floors with no break between. Could also be a joist penetrating the internal leaf of the wall not closed off - especially if you have insulated slabs downstairs, meaning your cavity is probably open.

Thanks, is this fixable if this is the case?

Garlinge true, could be last resort, however I would like to see if I could get it sorted for the long term rather than just something in the plug

• Advertisement

Thanks, is this fixable if this is the case?

Garlinge true, could be last resort, however I would like to see if I could get it sorted for the long term rather than just something in the plug

Yes, all those issues are fixable. The building void meeting the floor void issue is something I always try to sort (it can be as simple as filling the gaps between the joists with rockwool or similar, as, not only does it cause draughts, but in my opinion it is a fire hazard. I'd say I see it in nearly a quarter of the two storey houses I look at, and in nearly all the dormer bungalows.

Yes, all those issues are fixable. The building void meeting the floor void issue is something I always try to sort (it can be as simple as filling the gaps between the joists with rockwool or similar, as, not only does it cause draughts, but in my opinion it is a fire hazard. I'd say I see it in nearly a quarter of the two storey houses I look at, and in nearly all the dormer bungalows.

Super thanks so much for your help. We will have a look in next day or so and see what can be seen. Appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Open off a socket and take a look......i had to look at an installation where i discovered that the upstairs walls were chased but downstairs the electrician decided not to chased the walls and ran the cable inside the cavity and drilled a hole out of the back of the socket.

tweek84 wrote: »
    Open off a socket and take a look......i had to look at an installation where i discovered that the upstairs walls were chased but downstairs the electrician decided not to chased the walls and ran the cable inside the cavity and drilled a hole out of the back of the socket.

That wasn't an electrician, that was a butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

That wasn't an electrician, that was a butcher.

Somehow these guys keep picking up work,

tweek84 wrote: »
    Somehow these guys keep picking up work,

Price presumably. Though trying to fish cables up through the cavity can't have been easy.

I will let you know how we get on. Hopefully we'll find the cause and be able to fix it handily enough. Nothing worst than breezes coming into the room

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Biker1

I will let you know how we get on. Hopefully we'll find the cause and be able to fix it handily enough. Nothing worst than breezes coming into the room

Is the blockwork plastered behind the slabs. If not then I'm afraid you will never stop the air infiltration.

Just an update..... So we noticed where the wall in sunroom met the ceiling alot of breezes coming. I have pic attached. They have now been chalked and we do notice an improvement. However breeze still coming through sockets and under skirting. We have stone work on the walls outside but no paths around yet, we think maybe that could be where the breeze is getting in from. Alot more investigation to be done! Appreciate all the replies so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

where the wall in sunroom met the ceiling a lot of breezes coming.

Coving would sort that - if in other rooms. as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just an update..... So we noticed where the wall in sunroom met the ceiling alot of breezes coming. I have pic attached. They have now been chalked and we do notice an improvement. However breeze still coming through sockets and under skirting. We have stone work on the walls outside but no paths around yet, we think maybe that could be where the breeze is getting in from. Alot more investigation to be done! Appreciate all the replies so far

I'm sorry, I'm confused. What's the purpose of the large gap between the wall-mounted insulation boards and the ceiling for exactly?
    Was the plasterboard insulation retro-fitted to the walls?

Advertisement