Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing / arching noise coming from shaving socket

Options
  • 09-02-2021 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Small issue, but one that has been on my mind for a while.

I've got a light / shaving socket in each of the bathrooms of my house. When i plug in an electric toothbrush charger or shaver i get a buzzing noise / arching coming from the outlet.

This is the same in the second bathroom and with different appliances.

Is this something i should worry about? Any feedback appreciated.

I've uploaded a short video to show what i mean.

https://youtu.be/tpUD2TbAwjU

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First of the charger for your toothbrush that is designed to operate at 230V is not supposed to be pluged into a shaver socket (that I guess supplies 110V). You should replace the plug on it for the standard 3 pin type that we use in Ireland and plug it into a socket outlet in another room.

Secondly transforemers often buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Shaver sockets are often only rated for intermittent loads and not constant loads like toothbrushes. Some makes (Crabtree perhaps) have a picture of a toothbrush on their shaver sockets suitable for this use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Shaver sockets are often only rated for intermittent loads and not constant loads like toothbrushes. Some makes (Crabtree perhaps) have a picture of a toothbrush on their shaver sockets suitable for this use.

On bigger transformers the term for that is "tool rated"

Advertisement