Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting open fire to gas/electric - advice please

Options
  • 09-02-2021 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

I live in an old (100 years or thereabouts!) 2 up 2 down terraced house in a traditionally working class area of Dublin. I have an open coal fire in the house and love a good roaring fire of a winter’s night. However I’m at the point now where I’m seriously thinking about having it converted to either a gas or electric fire. I’m aware that the Government is planning to ban / phase out all open coal fires at some point plus I’m getting tired of the amount of work involved in ordering the coal, storing it, cleaning out the fireplace every night etc.

I have no idea what’s involved by way of either cost or building works in terms of getting this done. I have gas fired central heating in the house. Any advice on whether gas or electric would be better, possible costs, and what I should factor into my decision would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Everlong1

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Everlong1

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Hi, everlong , I noticed your post .
    There is a good sticky thread somewhere on stove questions but not sure if it is on the plumbing and heating forum or diy .
    Maybe you would get more answers there if you ask a mod to move your post ?

Advertisement