Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Q + Devolo magic 2 wifi

Options
  • 08-02-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey,

We already have Sky Q and are looking to add 2 Sky Q mini boxes as well.

We'll soon be signing up to Sky 1GB FTTH.

I've also ordered a Devolo magic 2 wifi kit - one part to connect to the router, and 2 more units with ethernet ports.

My question is - what's the best way to connect the Sky Q mini boxes so that they work in the office upstairs (Sky Q in front room, Sky broadband in hallway).

I don't fully understand the mesh system, because the devolo magic 2 will do that - provide wifi while also allowing me to hard wire my PC in the office.

Will the Sky Q mini boxes try and work off the router or will they work off the devolo magic 2 plugs?

I basically need to have my PC connected via a wire so was hoping the devolo magic 2 would be what I need, but worried it might get in the way of everything else now if having 2 Sky Q mini boxes in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sky Q is a mesh system itself, and as you're going to have 2 mini boxes then they're basically the same as the Devolo units, as long as your broadband is with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sky Q is a mesh system itself, and as you're going to have 2 mini boxes then they're basically the same as the Devolo units, as long as your broadband is with Sky.

Thanks! Realised that afterwards, forgot they worked like that when you sign with Sky.

I'll still need plugs to provider them with ethernet so I'll test wireless through the devolo plugs (Sky Q wifi turned off), and the wifi through Sky Q boxes, with devolo plugs wifi turned off.

If Sky Q mini boxes work fine as hotspots that's just as good, I still need the powerline adapters anyway, albeit not the wireless versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't have Sky, but was wondering what the above means ......... following that logic it would not be possible to have 'multiroom/mini boxes' working with any other broadband provider.

I find that difficult to believe, so I must be misunderstanding something.

I don't have Sky, but was wondering what the above means ......... following that logic it would not be possible to have 'multiroom/mini boxes' working with any other broadband provider.

As far as I know the Sky Q mini boxes work off their own wifi type system to provide Sky in other rooms.

but if you're with Sky broadband they'll also act as wifi hotspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Basically as SoupBanana said, if your broadband is with Sky the system doesn't work as a mesh and doesn't then rebroadcast WiFi from the Sky Q box and any mini box in the house.

SoupBanana, just noticing your requirement that you need your PC connected via Ethernet, not sure if the Sky Q mini or repeater would fit that requirement as I never had the need to check it out.

In fairness to the Sky Q mesh though it is petty good, I only really realised how good when I changed providers and remembered all the issues with poor signals around the house I had before getting it and had to buy a mesh system to fix it.

• Advertisement

Basically as SoupBanana said, if your broadband is with Sky the system doesn't work as a mesh and doesn't then rebroadcast WiFi from the Sky Q box and any mini box in the house.

SoupBanana, just noticing your requirement that you need your PC connected via Ethernet, not sure if the Sky Q mini or repeater would fit that requirement as I never had the need to check it out.

In fairness to the Sky Q mesh though it is petty good, I only really realised how good when I changed providers and remembered all the issues with poor signals around the house I had before getting it and had to buy a mesh system to fix it.

For my setup I'm still going to use the devolo plugs.

I've bought a triple LAN adapter for the Magic 2 wifi. So will have PC / PS5 / Sky Q mini plugged in via ethernet.

Then Sky Q mini will provide wifi to upstairs floor.

For the 2 Devolo wifi plugs with wifi I'll use them just as ethernet adapters, and will turn the wifi off, unless the Sky Q mini's end up not being good enough.

Advertisement