Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No bb service at remote house

Options
  • 08-02-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

When lockdown lifts I will be visiting family in a remote part od the country. I will need to work remotely but when I check both the broadband coverage map and mobile phone coverage map for the address, there is around 1km distance from the closest coverage spot on the map. The map says its 'fringe' coverage for 4G, fair for 2G and 3G. Is there anything I can do to boost the signal to the property. Any equipment I can buy?

Comments

When lockdown lifts I will be visiting family in a remote part od the country. I will need to work remotely but when I check both the broadband coverage map and mobile phone coverage map for the address, there is around 1km distance from the closest coverage spot on the map. The map says its 'fringe' coverage for 4G, fair for 2G and 3G. Is there anything I can do to boost the signal to the property. Any equipment I can buy?

It would be foolish to buy without at least seeing if there's any signal to work with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Have you checked your Eircode with a provider. You'd be surprised how far out you can get fibre these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Why add extra stress to your life? I know everybody wants a change of scenery but you will end up frustrated and forever worrying about your job. My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The OP doesn't mention wanting to buy property, just visit.
    What do you want the Internet for?
    Work, steaming, social media.

I wouldn't go buying equipment without seeing what the actual service is like.
    What do the people there use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭plodder

Starlink might be the best option in the medium term for a location like that, but it depends on how soon they rollout service in this country. So not likely to be useful in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The map says its 'fringe' coverage for 4G, fair for 2G and 3G. Is there anything I can do to boost the signal to the property. Any equipment I can buy?

There's no way of knowing what level of signal/coverage is available without being at the location. Can you ask whoever is in the house to report what coverage is like?

The maps only give a broad indication of coverage and provide no information on congestion. The latest mast network additions / upgrades may take a while to be added to published maps.

If you can't get someone to check signal then get a SIM from each network (3, VF, Eir) and try them out when you get there.

The only extra equipment to bring initially is a spare smartphone to use as a hotpsot in an upstairs window if coverage is poor.

The level of usage will also be a factor, a few emails should be fine on an average connection but any type of video calling is going to need good 4G signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭backwards_man

alan4cult wrote: »
    Have you checked your Eircode with a provider. You'd be surprised how far out you can get fibre these days.
    I have checked the coverage maps online. Literally stops 1k on one side of the property and resumes 1Km on the other side.

degsie wrote: »
    Why add extra stress to your life? I know everybody wants a change of scenery but you will end up frustrated and forever worrying about your job. My 2c.

Lol, I want to visit my parents in their holiday house where they have been since July last year. The house I will stay in is a few KM down the road literally in the middle of nowhere, cant stay with them for a bunch of reasons, my sanity being the main one!!

The OP doesn't mention wanting to buy property, just visit.
    What do you want the Internet for?
    Work, steaming, social media.

I wouldn't go buying equipment without seeing what the actual service is like.
    What do the people there use?

Work calls, I can turn off video. And general internet, emails etc. Two weeks with no broadband is a stretch for me!

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    There's no way of knowing what level of signal/coverage is available without being at the location. Can you ask whoever is in the house to report what coverage is like?

The maps only give a broad indication of coverage and provide no information on congestion. The latest mast network additions / upgrades may take a while to be added to published maps.

If you can't get someone to check signal then get a SIM from each network (3, VF, Eir) and try them out when you get there.

The only extra equipment to bring initially is a spare smartphone to use as a hotpsot in an upstairs window if coverage is poor.

The level of usage will also be a factor, a few emails should be fine on an average connection but any type of video calling is going to need good 4G signal.

Thanks I think I will rethink the location and just stay in the nearest town.

Advertisement