Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High pitched noise in gardens

Options
  • 08-02-2021 7:43pm

Can't find a relevant forum to post this, I'm in Cork and over the last 6 months I have noticed a really annoying high pitched frequency, I'm 38 so shouldn't be hearing teenager devices. Anyone experience this or have any idea how to identify the source, I think its the neighbours behind cos they have a shed at the end of the garden and it could be something they have plugged in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

It could be an animal repellor.

Mardyke wrote: »
    It could be an animal repellor.

Yeah was thinking that, its really audible, must char to other neighbours whether they hear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

There's no such thing as a 'teenager device' in the sense that the frequencies of those things can just be heard by humans generally. They're not something that should be legal in my opinion as they're a deliberate nuisance.

There can be other sources of high pitched noises like failing capacitors in some electrical device like perhaps a boiler or a faulty alarm siren something, even faulty outdoor lighting like that. If you're hearing it all the time, check it's only in that location as it could also be tinnitus.

If it's a deliberate noise, it could well be classified as noise pollution as you aren't entitled to make obnoxious loud noises designed to annoy people, regardless of the targeted age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

There's no such thing as a 'teenager device' in the sense that the frequencies of those things can just be heard by humans generally. They're not something that should be legal in my opinion as they're a deliberate nuisance.

There can be other sources of high pitched noises like failing capacitors in some electrical device like perhaps a boiler or a faulty alarm siren something, even faulty outdoor lighting like that. If you're hearing it all the time, check it's only in that location as it could also be tinnitus.

If it's a deliberate noise, it could well be classified as noise pollution as you aren't entitled to make obnoxious loud noises designed to annoy people, regardless of the targeted age.

There are devices in lots of British cities around the vicinity of shopping centres etc that actually are in place to keep teens from gathering, some thing to do with young ppl hearing whatever frequency of the noise they emit rather than oldies hearing it much like sheepdog training whistles etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

There's no such thing as a 'teenager device' in the sense that the frequencies of those things can just be heard by humans generally. .

A quick Google suggests otherwise.

I'm not suggesting they are effective, or right/wrong....only that they exist.

I'm not a scientist or audiologist, but I have read that younger people hear sounds at different frequencies than older people - therefore it may well be theoretically possible to manufacture a device that has (at least) limited success....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

They exist, but the law doesn't say you can drive people < certain ages mad with loud noises. It just specifies nuisance sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I had the same problem around 10 years ago, neighbours had some ultrasonic animal scaring device. Drove me mad.

Had to knock into 7 houses to find out who it was.

I'd be tempted to kill someone if I had to put up with it again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

I have one plugged in to keep the cats out of the garden, pretty sure it's inaudible to humans though. I can't hear it anyway.

I actually recorded it, played it to work colleagues and they all heard it. I am more inclined to think something threw an old freezer or something into a shed and its faulty. i have a good idea the house it is coming from, not sure how to approach it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BiggJim wrote: »
    I have one plugged in to keep the cats out of the garden, pretty sure it's inaudible to humans though. I can't hear it anyway.

I've got one too, but it only emits a high-pitched sound when it's triggered by a movement detector, it doesn't do it constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Can't find a relevant forum to post this, I'm in Cork and over the last 6 months I have noticed a really annoying high pitched frequency, I'm 38 so shouldn't be hearing teenager devices. Anyone experience this or have any idea how to identify the source, I think its the neighbours behind cos they have a shed at the end of the garden and it could be something they have plugged in

It may be a pump in a shed or outhouse somewhere running intermittently that needs bearing changed.

stoneill wrote: »
    It may be a pump in a shed or outhouse somewhere running intermittently that needs bearing changed.

What ever it is I sympathise with you, as twould drive you cuckoo, we've a few dogs near us) never walked) who at times I'd like to strangle

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

someone living near me has one of those motion detector ones in their front garden, drives me crazy when I pass it and I only hear it for 20 or so seconds. I couldn't stick living next to it hearing it a couple of times a day, let alone hearing it all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭cantalach

BiggJim wrote: »

I wouldn’t be so sure. When we bought our current house, we found an inaudible rodent alarm belonging to the previous owner. When we plugged it in, the kids and I could hear it clearly but my wife couldn’t hear a thing.

Out of curiosity, and apologies to OP for going off topic, but why do you want to keep cats out of your garden? I’ve always found them very benign creatures.

cantalach wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be so sure. When we bought our current house, we found an inaudible rodent alarm belonging to the previous owner. When we plugged it in, the kids and I could hear it clearly but my wife couldn’t hear a thing.

Out of curiosity, and apologies to OP for going off topic, but why do you want to keep cats out of your garden? I’ve always found them very benign creatures.

They ****e all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭cantalach

They ****e all over the place

Aka organic fertiliser? But I take your point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

You don’t happen to live near Páirc Uí Rinn? I discovered the source of a very high pitched ring near me. It’s coming from wind circulating a lamppost across the road. Can be heard from 200yards away.

You don’t happen to live near Páirc Uí Rinn? I discovered the source of a very high pitched ring near me. It’s coming from wind circulating a lamppost across the road. Can be heard from 200yards away.

No i live by the Rochestown Park hotel, i am convinced a neighbour has an old fridge that is on its last legs in the shed at the end of the garden

No i live by the Rochestown Park hotel, i am convinced a neighbour has an old fridge that is on its last legs in the shed at the end of the garden

That would drive me bonkers as once you notice it that's it

Advertisement