Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Softener Effectiveness

Options
  • 08-02-2021 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know about water softeners?

I got a water softener installed a few years ago and I was happy with the results. I recall buying testing strips and being satisfied. I then got my home renovated - the plumbing was re-done and water softener moved etc - it is still working but I am not happy with how effective it is. There is limescale in the shower and the water doesn't have that soft feeling I remember it having.

I did a test today and according to the colour coding on the testing strips, my water is getting softened from "very hard" to "hard". They should be more effective, right?

I fill it up to the water level, which is about 12 inches, every week. I've checked this evening for hard salt at the bottom of the tank (bridging) and for any salt mush but it seems fine. I ran through the settings and noticed the clock was an hour off but as it is set to regenerate at 2am I don't think that was an issue.

What else can reduce the effectiveness on these things? I contacted the installer but they just want me to get a service which did not help before now.

Some pictures below - the testing strip shows the filter tap (not softened) vs the main tap (softened) - any advice appreciated.

sltJpU4m.jpg

CugJRzVm.jpg

Advertisement