Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir 1Gb connection - upload is 10% of that

Options
  • 08-02-2021 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi all,

We're paying for the 1Gb connection. Our speeds are as shown:

9Ks7IpB.png

The upload is 10% of the download.

Is this normal?
    Tagged:

Comments

Yes perfectly fine. 1000/100 is what you’re supposed to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

Yes perfectly fine. 1000/100 is what you’re supposed to get.

Thanks for that. I thought with FTTH the down and up speeds were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Nope if you want higher upload speeds you need Business broadband FTTP or get a leased line which costs thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotAnotherOrange

It's a shame they're not really.

Does anyone know why?

I understand most people can't make use of 1gb upload, but it would still be nice. I know in some other countries people can get 1gb lines and their upload matches download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭KildareP

SoupBanana wrote: »
    It's a shame they're not really.

Does anyone know why?

I understand most people can't make use of 1gb upload, but it would still be nice. I know in some other countries people can get 1gb lines and their upload matches download.

Several reasons:
    - To provision network capacity to what home users typically use their broadband for, which is downloading
    - To stop you from running a datacentre from your house
    - Typically, in international peering arrangements, the generator of the traffic pays. Higher upload means more traffic generated by your ISP means their costs increase means their broadband packages become more expensive
    - To encourage heavier users onto their higher cost corporate offerings.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity do eir provide this or is there other providers that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

OP can I asked what county you live?
    I'm in Bray with eir but can't get close to that
    thanks

Your upload is more than most peoples downloads. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭KildareP

Depends on where you are.

If it's rural based, generally no.

If it's urban or suburban, you need to live near their core fibre network. If civils (digging and trunking) are needed you could be waiting 3-4 months lead time from order date.

There's a number of other operators who can deliver it to you over microwave - Digiweb, Virgin Media, Host Ireland, Airspeed being some of them - but expect to pay upwards of about €500 (ex. VAT) a month for a 1Gbps symmetrical line, depending on contention, SLA and contract term (typically 24-36 months minimum).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Leased Line
    Not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have to ask it's not for you.

OP can I asked what county you live?
    I'm in Bray with eir but can't get close to that
    thanks

Monaghan, I live between the one of the largest poultry factories in Ireland/UK and egg producers in Ireland so not sure if that has anything to do with the push to get the lines past our house. The cabinet is about 1km away in the village.
    ED E wrote: »
    If you have to ask it's not for you.

There's no just thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer.

Advertisement