Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky q add channels? Complete novice question

• 08-02-2021 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I’m thinking about getting sky q.

Firstly, is it any good and secondly can I still add uk regional stations?

Thanks.

M.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yes you can still add channels to the same extent and in the same manner as you could on Sky+HD. The feature is now called “Manual Tuning” instead of “Add Channels” and it’s a bit more difficult to access in terms of being buried in the menus and if you have parental controls on you need your PIN.

Is it any good? Matter of perspective. Undoubtedly it’s the best pay television platform in the Irish market bar none, in terms of the sheer number of channels. It does multiroom better than anyone else and you can put your multiroom boxes anywhere you want that you can pick up your home WiFi.

But it is also by far the most expensive and loyalty is not rewarded in this business even if Sky is (as is often the case) the only platform that carries that one channel you absolutely must have (Fan of Spanish football? Sky is the only place you will see LaLigaTV). If you are not a premium sports or movies fan or don’t watch HBO shows consider a free to air solution instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

icdg wrote: »
    Yes you can still add channels to the same extent and in the same manner as you could on Sky+HD. The feature is now called “Manual Tuning” instead of “Add Channels” and it’s a bit more difficult to access in terms of being buried in the menus and if you have parental controls on you need your PIN.

Is it any good? Matter of perspective. Undoubtedly it’s the best pay television platform in the Irish market bar none, in terms of the sheer number of channels. It does multiroom better than anyone else and you can put your multiroom boxes anywhere you want that you can pick up your home WiFi.

But it is also by far the most expensive and loyalty is not rewarded in this business even if Sky is (as is often the case) the only platform that carries that one channel you absolutely must have (Fan of Spanish football? Sky is the only place you will see LaLigaTV). If you are not a premium sports or movies fan or don’t watch HBO shows consider a free to air solution instead.

I suppose we’ve always had sky and it’s the convenience of recording the stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I suppose we’ve always had sky and it’s the convenience of recording the stuff as well.

You can’t record the channels you add manually (nor can you pause, rewind etc)

I’m relatively new to Sky (got it for first in the summer)but I really enjoy the Sky Q package. The on demand/catch up functions are terrific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Dodge wrote: »
    You can’t record the channels you add manually (nor can you pause, rewind etc)

I’m relatively new to Sky (got it for first in the summer)but I really enjoy the Sky Q package. The on demand/catch up functions are terrific

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I like the convenience of recording the standard channels, RTÉ etc.

I know I won’t be able to record the manually added channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

got Q recently and it is an excellent platform - the ability to record up to 5 things at a time mean you never get clashes, so you can setup everything to series link and always have stuff to watch. Integration of Netflix and Prime is handy too. Having said all that it is expensive and most of what we watch is on RTE or BBC, so we're essentially paying for the service rather than the content which we could access in other less convenient ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

And the remote is Bluetooth so you can hide the box
    1st world problems

Advertisement