Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really worried after 20 week scan

Options
  • 07-02-2021 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I’m 29 and pregnant with my first baby. Had my Anatomy scan at 21w+3. The sonographer got 95% of all views and all was normal but she told me that there was one view of the heart that she couldn’t get.l because the baby’s arm was creating a shadow. She grabbed a colleague to ask her to try to get it but I don’t think that she got on great either. The two had a a conversation and said to refer me to fetal medicine. I asked what was going on and she said that she couldn’t get a proper view of the 4 chambers of the heart(she could see 4 chambers were there and heart was in right place) but all other heart views were fine. She said they were going to refer me to fetal medicine to review the heart images and that I shouldn’t panic. I asked her was there something up with the baby and she said that she just couldn’t tell, she said there mightn’t be anything wrong but there might be something like a valve or a small hole - she just can’t tell.On the ultrasound report it says “4 chamber view- suboptimal”. It also says “2 vessel cord noted”. I’m freaking out- appointment on Wednesday... I’m just so nervous because of the referral to fetal medicine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I had to go back for a recheck on the heart on my son as I was told they often can't get get a good enough view at the 20 week scan so I had to go back 4 weeks later. When baby is bigger they will have a better view at the workings of the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yea try not worry, easier said than done, exact same thing on my last baby. She couldnt get a proper look because of thd position of the baby.I was worried like yourself but everything was grand tg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

I had to go back for a recheck on the heart on my son as I was told they often can't get get a good enough view at the 20 week scan so I had to go back 4 weeks later. When baby is bigger they will have a better view at the workings of the heart.

My girlfriend was same as above. Couldn't get a get view or complete view so they re do later in the hope the baby has moved to a more suitable position. Nurse doing the scan said it happens all the time and is quite common. I find all dealings with maternity issues excellent because they never leave anything to chance and will always check and re check until they are sure. Don't put any extra stress on yourself. Congrats on your pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Chefjones

Thanks for replying you guys. I hope that’s all it’s a case off. It’s the referral to foetal medicine that had me freaked out...Wednesday can’t come quick enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

Easier said than done but try not to stress about it. And don't google anything that's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down!

• Advertisement

Easier said than done but try not to stress about it. And don't google anything that's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down!

Too late!! I’d say I could write a thesis on baby hearts with what I’ve read!! Damn google!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Chefjones wrote: »
    Too late!! I’d say I could write a thesis on baby hearts with what I’ve read!! Damn google!

Second the don't stress too much about it awhile. they wriggle into all kinds of awkward positions in there. We were told they couldn't find a heartbeat for our 2nd, was fully prepared for the worst. After a fairly scary long time there it was. He was just ass-forward and basically mooning the sonographer making it damn hard to get his heatbeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I had to go back a second time also for a repeat, for the same reason. I know it’s tough, but try not to stress about it

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I had the same on my first baby. Scan wasn't clear and had another one a few days later and all was fine. Also had a two vessel cord on my second baby and she was fine too. Try not to stress too much and distract yourself over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Deep breaths!! And stop googling watch some bady series (not doctor related) to take your mind away from all.. Or start planning something like re-arranging a room wens will be here in no time.. On our second we had a few blips I remember they could not get a clear view of the four chambers, but we were lucky and it was a quite day so she said to stay outside for a bit and see if he moved,which thank god he did.. Mind then I had the trouble of having to got to the loos during the wait so had to drink buckets of water again..

Had a few scary moments with him, (that is how i knew he was a boy) always lying the wrong way for scans or heartbeat detectors. Had to go to the hospital one day as the nurse could not find the heartbeat scary enough mind your own intuition is great..

Best of luck on Wens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had to go back an additional 3 times for them to get the view of the baby’s heart that they needed. My consultant also referred me to fetal medicine for it and said that was just standard procedure as it was their area, I didn’t need to see an obstetrician those extra times. They got it in the end and baby perfectly healthy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes, my second child was basically folded in half in my womb for the 21 week scan and was not moving. They had to bring us back in around 23 weeks to try again for both the heart and her face - the outline of it or something? She had her hands covering her nose and mouth. I think they basically have a list of specific things that they have to confirm they have seen and if they cannot confirm it, you have to go back. Some hospitals may have the policy of referring you like that as part of their process. My own child is completely healthy, and the second scan revealed no problems at all. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

They’ll always make 100% sure they can see everything clearly before signing off. If they can’t make something out they will bring you back. With my 2nd they couldn’t verify something (can’t remember what) because of her position so said she’d come back to it. The baby had moved by the end of the scan so I didn’t have to go back but would have if she didn’t move.

Second the don't stress too much about it awhile. they wriggle into all kinds of awkward positions in there. We were told they couldn't find a heartbeat for our 2nd, was fully prepared for the worst. After a fairly scary long time there it was. He was just ass-forward and basically mooning the sonographer making it damn hard to get his heatbeat :)

Oh Jesus I can’t even imagine that! The little pup!! Glad everything turned out ok. Thanks for telling me your story x

Milly33 wrote: »
    Deep breaths!! And stop googling watch some bady series (not doctor related) to take your mind away from all.. Or start planning something like re-arranging a room wens will be here in no time.. On our second we had a few blips I remember they could not get a clear view of the four chambers, but we were lucky and it was a quite day so she said to stay outside for a bit and see if he moved,which thank god he did.. Mind then I had the trouble of having to got to the loos during the wait so had to drink buckets of water again..

Had a few scary moments with him, (that is how i knew he was a boy) always lying the wrong way for scans or heartbeat detectors. Had to go to the hospital one day as the nurse could not find the heartbeat scary enough mind your own intuition is great..

Best of luck on Wens

Thanks Milly33, I hope I end up like you. I feel ok and can feel baby kicking away...I always think I have good intuition but I’m half afraid to hope. Thanks for your reply, means a lot x

I had to go back an additional 3 times for them to get the view of the baby’s heart that they needed. My consultant also referred me to fetal medicine for it and said that was just standard procedure as it was their area, I didn’t need to see an obstetrician those extra times. They got it in the end and baby perfectly healthy

How did you handle going back 3 times...I’d go mad! Hopefully I’m just after getting referred as standard too...I didn’t have the presence of mind to ask. So glad your smallie is ok x

shesty wrote: »
    Yes, my second child was basically folded in half in my womb for the 21 week scan and was not moving. They had to bring us back in around 23 weeks to try again for both the heart and her face - the outline of it or something? She had her hands covering her nose and mouth. I think they basically have a list of specific things that they have to confirm they have seen and if they cannot confirm it, you have to go back. Some hospitals may have the policy of referring you like that as part of their process. My own child is completely healthy, and the second scan revealed no problems at all. Best of luck.

Glad to hear that shesty... thanks so much for your reply x

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My baby had the exact same issue. they could see 3 heart chambers but not the fourth due to a shadow he was casting due to an awkward position in the womb. I had an early anomoly scan at 18 weeks and I went in every week for 4 weeks after that and he didn't move until the fourth week. Once he moved and they could see the heart clearly all was well. He was perfectly fine they literally just couldn't see it. Try not to worry!

Not much longer to go now and your mind will be put at ease. Must say this forum is great for any help or just reassurance

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

shesty wrote: »

I think viewing the face is to check for cleft palate issues. I remember the songographer working through a checklist as well with me.I also remember her checking all the internal organs not just the heart and all the skeletal structure - head, spine, and measuring femur length etc.

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    I think viewing the face is to check for cleft palate issues. I remember the songographer working through a checklist as well with me.I also remember her checking all the internal organs not just the heart and all the skeletal structure - head, spine, and measuring femur length etc.

The sonographer on my daughter's scan was great at telling us this stuff (she was a willing scan participant, unlike her older brother!). They look for the input and output of kidney function, bladder, liver etc.

OP, I remember the sonographer telling me about the scan of the heart and to make sense of it, she said the baby's heart at that age is about the size of your small fingernail. So imagine them trying to see 4 parts of that and the aorta etc. using the soundwaves of a scan on a tiny moving baby living inside your belly. It is incredible that they can do it and only natural that not all babies are compliant on the day we want them to be!

UPDATE: Scan all done, the consultant did it himself. Baby’s heart is perfect as far as he can see. Took him a long time to get a proper look as kiddo was putting hands to face. I got referred because of not getting a clear view of the four chambers and having a 2 vessel cord. They explained to me after that having a 2 vessel cord is fine if nothing else is wrong but it can come along with heart issues etc. Consultant referred me for a growth scan in 3rd trimester because of 2 vessel cord but it won’t be done by him.
    Thanks a mill everyone for sharing and for your support ❤️❤️

Yeahhhh so Happy for you, you must be delighted.. Phew a weight lifted I am sure now relax and enjoy the rest of the pregnancy it is such a lovely time

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

UPDATE: Scan all done, the consultant did it himself. Baby’s heart is perfect as far as he can see. Took him a long time to get a proper look as kiddo was putting hands to face. I got referred because of not getting a clear view of the four chambers and having a 2 vessel cord. They explained to me after that having a 2 vessel cord is fine if nothing else is wrong but it can come along with heart issues etc. Consultant referred me for a growth scan in 3rd trimester because of 2 vessel cord but it won’t be done by him.
    Great news! My second baby also had a two vessel cord and so they checked the kidneys and heart more thoroughly at the anomaly scan. No other problems so as it was isolated I was told by my consultant that the most likely outcome was a small baby. I had scans to check the growth and all was good. She was actually just under ten pounds at birth so definitely not small! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Ah that is great news. I was thinking of you today. I hope you can relax a bit now and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Yeahhhh so Happy for you, you must be delighted.. Phew a weight lifted I am sure now relax and enjoy the rest of the pregnancy it is such a lovely time

So relieved... just so relieved...

Ah that is great news. I was thinking of you today. I hope you can relax a bit now and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

I definitely will relax! Thanks so much for your kind wishes xx

cornflake1 wrote: »
    Great news! My second baby also had a two vessel cord and so they checked the kidneys and heart more thoroughly at the anomaly scan. No other problems so as it was isolated I was told by my consultant that the most likely outcome was a small baby. I had scans to check the growth and all was good. She was actually just under ten pounds at birth so definitely not small! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

Aww thanks so much! That’s one whopper of a baby!! 10 lbs!!!

Advertisement