Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking genius needed - willing to pay!

Options
  • 07-02-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is against the charter or not, if it is please delete.

Basically I am looking for the services of a Networking guru genius and I'm happy to pay via paypal or revolut etc for their remote services over teamviewer.

I need someone to basically setup Wake on LAN so that I can remotely summon my PC to life over the internet. I have a Dynamic IP from EIR and I know that what I want is technically possible and I got it work before over the LAN in that my iPhone with an app would remote start the PC when iPhone and PC were on the same home network (Eir router). But I want to be able to tell the computer to start over the internet from my phone if I was standing ontop of a mountain etc. The same thing would never work when phone and PC were separate with the phone on mobile data it wouldn't work

My mobo supports WOL but I just can't get it to work and rather than frustrating myself I'd prefer to let some one teamviewer in and do the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Why not just leave the computer on and use VNC to send the screen back to you? Do you need to wake it up?
    VNC will work through a dynamic IP but the connection handoff will be routed through the VNC providers servers.

Just leave it powered on! And use Team viewer

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Set up an account with dyndns.org

Your router will probably have a section called DDNS (dynamic DNS). You fill in your account details here and every time your ISP changes your IP address it gets updated to your dyndns account.
    Instead of having to refer to a numerical IP address you can use something like myhouse.dyndns.org in your WoL request.
    If you’ve got something similar working before you’ll get this working too.
    The dyndns account is a small amount of money annually.

theguzman wrote: »

Basically I am looking for the services of a Networking guru genius and I'm happy to pay via paypal or revolut etc for their remote services over teamviewer.

I need someone to basically setup Wake on LAN so that I can remotely summon my PC to life over the internet. I have a Dynamic IP from EIR and I know that what I want is technically possible and I got it work before over the LAN in that my iPhone with an app would remote start the PC when iPhone and PC were on the same home network (Eir router). But I want to be able to tell the computer to start over the internet from my phone if I was standing ontop of a mountain etc. The same thing would never work when phone and PC were separate with the phone on mobile data it wouldn't work

My mobo supports WOL but I just can't get it to work and rather than frustrating myself I'd prefer to let some one teamviewer in and do the job.

You can't send a WOL packet over the internet. Well you can but most routers will not forward the packet to the local broadcast address.

Also OP I would advise against allowing random people from the internet teamviewer in. Yes if you trust the person but be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Deagol

Can I ask why you need to access the PC remotely? If it's just for files that are stored on it then there are much easier and better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CrazyMark

I wanted to be able to power on my server over the internet.

What I did was get a smartplug, and set the server to power on when it detects power. This setting was in the BIOS somewhere, my laptop has a similar setting in BIOS that I found when I discovered the power button stopped working.

I use the app on my phone to switch on the plug, and the server powers on.

This works over the internet without the need for dynamic dns or any of that.

CrazyMark wrote: »

What I did was get a smartplug, and set the server to power on when it detects power. This setting was in the BIOS somewhere, my laptop has a similar setting in BIOS that I found when I discovered the power button stopped working.

But why do you need the server to power on? Is it just file storage / remote file access? If so, a NAS would do the job a lot more efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CrazyMark

I agree., but the server was very cheap and I just use it for playing with virtual machines.

Yes a Nas would work better but if you want to power on a pc from over the internet a smart plug works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

CrazyMark wrote: »

You sir are an absolute genius and you have solved a problem I have had for the last 2-3 years. I changed the setting in the bios and luckily I have a smart plug I used before with Christmas lights for its smart timer capacity. A cheap Amazon purchase for €10 but works amazingly well.
    Deagol wrote: »
    Can I ask why you need to access the PC remotely? If it's just for files that are stored on it then there are much easier and better options.

Basically I will be abroad over the coming months and possibly year, and I want to be able to turn on a desktop computer I have at home for my elderly parents, I can then Skype them and answer the call myself over teamviewer. They are totally illiterate in computing terms and the last time I was abroad my mum couldn't find the power button to turn the PC on. Both use old style Nokias and Doro phones so the usual smartphone video routine is a no-go either. They can sit down in the front of the computer and I'll appear on screen without they having to do anything.

• Advertisement

Ah - that's an unusual use for a PC :)

Glad someone managed to give you the solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Do you by any chance have an alexa device on the same LAN as the PC you are trying to power on? If so there is an alexa skill that allows you to power it on from anywhere by simply going into the app and saying alexa, turn on my laptop etc. I have tested it on my own laptop and works when I switch to 4G etc.

Advertisement