Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove small screws stuck in a heart rate belt

Options
  • 07-02-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi

Hoping someone may have a hack to remove tiny screws that are stuck with the thread not gripping g the Philips screwdriver?

Screws are on a heart rate belt. Managed to get one out but no chances with the other 3.

Boards is the last attempt before a reactant new purchase!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seems strange that three won't come out.
    Have you rounded the head on them?
    Have you tried a small squirt of WD40?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wrong screwdriver most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

common problem ....Is it a Garmin HRM?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The screws on any Garmin device I've ever seen have all been Torx, not Philips. T5 usually.

It's possible that with that one screw, if it wasn't particularly tight you might just have been able to remove it with a suitable sized Philips screwdriver, but clearly that isn't going to work for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 credilimit

Seems strange that three won't come out.
    Have you rounded the head on them?
    Have you tried a small squirt of WD40?

Applied a small bit of WD40 but nothing unfortunately

• Advertisement

common problem ....Is it a Garmin HRM?

Yes!

Alun wrote: »
    The screws on any Garmin device I've ever seen have all been Torx, not Philips. T5 usually.

It's possible that with that one screw, if it wasn't particularly tight you might just have been able to remove it with a suitable sized Philips screwdriver, but clearly that isn't going to work for all of them.

Thanks. Had tried another type of screwdriver albeit for a very few number of attempts as reverted back to Philips

Will give it a go shortly.

Philips screws but thread worn unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I use an elastic band over the worn screws. Basically you need something between the screw and the screwdriver. The elastic band adds grip. Works for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If the screw head is not making a "made to match" fit, I never try to turn the screw. Most of the time, the right shape head will work, but if it's not the right fit, sometimes the screw head gets stripped.

Looking at those screws heads you can still salvage it. What I have done in the past is glue the screw driver tip to the head and after a couple hours, turn slowly. Takes a lot of patience but the alternatives could be much worse.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

If the screw head is not making a "made to match" fit, I never try to turn the screw. Most of the time, the right shape head will work, but if it's not the right fit, sometimes the screw head gets stripped.

Looking at those screws heads you can still salvage it. What I have done in the past is glue the screw driver tip to the head and after a couple hours, turn slowly. Takes a lot of patience but the alternatives could be much worse.

Thanks. I nteresting, innovative and logical solutionðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

those screws actually look like pozidrive (PZ) not philips. there fecked now anyways from using a philips in them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I managed to change the battery on my Garmin HRM before Christmas. Removed screws- not an issue but could never get it working again despite all my efforts.

I happen to have a sort of minature screwdriver set of sorts in my possession for very small screws heads.

Had to buy a new HRM- went with a Viiii on recommendation from coach. Pretty annoyed. The Garmin cost me £50.00 last February- okay I used it a lot (best part of 2500km during the year but still. New one cost £75.00

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You rarely find PZ screws in electronic / photo equipment in my experience. Usually either philips or torx.

More likely to have been fecked by using either the wrong size or badly worn philips screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

credilimit wrote: »
    Thanks. I nteresting, innovative and logical solutionðŸ‘

Get the correct screwdriver and use a latex glove in between the screw and driver to get a bit more grip?

Needle nose pliers to grip the screw head and twist it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Try a small flat head screwdriver..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I managed to change the battery on my Garmin HRM before Christmas. Removed screws- not an issue but could never get it working again despite all my efforts.

I happen to have a sort of minature screwdriver set of sorts in my possession for very small screws heads.

Had to buy a new HRM- went with a Viiii on recommendation from coach. Pretty annoyed. The Garmin cost me £50.00 last February- okay I used it a lot (best part of 2500km during the year but still. New one cost £75.00

There's a hack for this

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

SomeFool wrote: »

Had to do exactly that a few weeks ago with my wife's one - had me driven nearly demented until I stumbled across that solution online, and of course the missus was blaming me for breaking it by changing the battery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

SomeFool wrote: »

Cheers...ok it's hurting my head.

So I basically get say, a paper clip and make a circuit between the + and - for 5-10 seconds, insert battery and that should reset it?

I have a found a better description further on and will try tonight...I only picked up the Viiii on Sunday and not used it yet so might have saved my £75.00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Cheers...ok it's hurting my head.

So I basically get say, a paper clip and make a circuit between the + and - for 5-10 seconds, insert battery and that should reset it?

I have a found a better description further on and will try tonight...I only picked up the Viiii on Sunday and not used it yet so might have saved my £75.00

Basically that, use a paperclip to bridge the two contacts. Hold it there for 5 secs and then see if it will connect when the new battery is in. Worth a shot, hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Seems to be a common problem with earlier HRM's from Garmin. They must have listened though
    I received mine today. Happy to say they are torx screws on the battery change compartment and it was even supplied with the correct sized screw driver. This doesn't help you out though OP. Hopefully the following will ....
    A friend had a similar issue with a laptop when he was trying to install a new SSD hard drive in his laptop. He damaged one of the screws by using the wrong screwdriver. I drilled it out for him. It was the only way i could see to get it out. He held a vacuum over the screw as i drilled it to remove any swarf. It worked a treat. Might be your only option if you're competenet with a drill and have a suitable bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Advertisement