Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting fibre connection to new house

Options
  • 07-02-2021 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

We built a new house a few years ago and at the time we didn't put in a connection to eir as had decided to go with imagine so we currently don't have any physical connection to telephone line/fibre. Eir brought fibre to our road last year and its on a telephone pole outside our house. We don't want to run an overhead wire between the pole and house as we do have an empty duct that runs between our house and entrance. Now the entrance is about 20 feet from the pole so I'm guessing we need to extend the ducting up to the pole and then feed the cable through into the house. My question is how much of this will eir do or what is my responsibility? Ie do I have to get a trench dug to bring the duct to the pole or would eir do this as part of installation? Any idea of what all this would cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

OpenEir will bring a fibre cable the whole way.
    If there is a block on your duct between entrance and house then you may have to fix it.

When you say the pole is 20 feet from the ending of your duct, does it have to cross a road then or just on the same side as the pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tangehayes

alan4cult wrote: »
    OpenEir will bring a fibre cable the whole way.
    If there is a block on your duct between entrance and house then you may have to fix it.

When you say the pole is 20 feet from the ending of your duct, does it have to cross a road then or just on the same side as the pole?

Hi, thanks a million for your response. The pole is on the same side as my house so just need to dig a trench along my ditch and extend the duct up to the pole I guess? Do you think this is my job rather than Open Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

OpenEir, or KN, or their installer will take the easiest option from the pole to your front door. They will not do any digging or installing of a duct. If you have a duct, it would be wise to ensure it can be accessed easily from end to end, and they use that, otherwise it will be an overhead cable.

In my house they came via the duct, as it was a straight run. In my mates house, the duct had a bend in it, so after a minute or two of trying, they installed overhead.

Ideally, have a rope already running through the duct, so there is no excuse/reason for them not to go underground.

tangehayes wrote: »
    Hi, thanks a million for your response. The pole is on the same side as my house so just need to dig a trench along my ditch and extend the duct up to the pole I guess? Do you think this is my job rather than Open Eir?
    It's 50:50
    You do not have to take an overhead solution (unless you want it) but also they don't have to lay the duct if they can offer an overhead solution.

Better to get the engineer out anyway and see what they say and who they could recommend to do it. If digging the duct you will need to make sure no excessive bends and a manhole at the join between your duct ending and the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tangehayes

ratracer wrote: »
    OpenEir, or KN, or their installer will take the easiest option from the pole to your front door. They will not do any digging or installing of a duct. If you have a duct, it would be wise to ensure it can be accessed easily from end to end, and they use that, otherwise it will be an overhead cable.

In my house they came via the duct, as it was a straight run. In my mates house, the duct had a bend in it, so after a minute or two of trying, they installed overhead.

Ideally, have a rope already running through the duct, so there is no excuse/reason for them not to go underground.

Super thanks a million for that! We do have a rope in it already so I think we just need to get on with digging digging trench ourselves so and get the duct to the pole. Is there a charge then by KN/eir etc to actually run the cable to the house?

• Advertisement

Super thanks a million for that! We do have a rope in it already so I think we just need to get on with digging digging trench ourselves so and get the duct to the pole. Is there a charge then by KN/eir etc to actually run the cable to the house?
    Yeah it varies by supplier but usually less than €200

Do you need to do any work inside the house on the other end of duct? You need to be beside sockets for the optical termination and the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭ratracer

That would be part of the connection fee I think, if the operator charges one.

Advertisement