Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor TV aerial

Options
  • 07-02-2021 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend an indoor TV aerial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi

An indoor aerial is not going to work very well unless you are located very close to a transmitter. Best would be to mount it on the chimney. Second best put it in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭obi604

walshtipp wrote: »
    An indoor aerial is not going to work very well unless you are located very close to a transmitter. Best would be to mount it on the chimney. Second best put it in the attic.

See I’m in a rented house. So kinda tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hi

Roughly what area are you located?

East galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

East galway.

You will probably be connecting to the Tonabrocky transmitter. It would be no harm to just buy an indoor aerial and see how it works for you. Worst case scenario it doesn't work you can return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

East galway.

If you mean East County Galway, then Tonabrocky is no good - it's a low power transmitter. Maghera will be more suitable probably and an outdoor aerial would almost certainly be required (though maybe just put in the attic).

MenloPete wrote: »
    If you mean East County Galway, then Tonabrocky is no good - it's a low power transmitter. Maghera will be more suitable probably and an outdoor aerial would almost certainly be required (though maybe just put in the attic).

Yeah. Sorry, it’s east county Galway.

Edit:

Just checked on maps.

Tonabrocky is 29km from house.
    Maghera is 56km from house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Each transmitter has two channels/frequencies. If you are trying out an indoor aerial, look at the signal quality readings on those channels. Moving the aerial around might improve the signal readings. There will be a Menu on your TV or set top box to see the readings.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Yeah. Sorry, it’s east county Galway.

Edit:

Just checked on maps.

Maghera would be worth a shot with a set-top aerial, I suppose, especially if you can get the aerial in or near a window facing that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

See I’m in a rented house. So kinda tricky

Ask your landlord to provide an (outdoor) aerial then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Another poster has already pointed out that Tonabrocky is a low power transmitter, it's only one quarter of a kW. Whereas Maghera is a 160 kW transmitter. So at 29 kms, you can safely ignore Tonabrocky.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Looking for advice I'm in North Dundalk I can actually see the TV mast located on Clermont Carn. Do you think an indoor aerial would work?

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »
    Looking for advice I'm in North Dundalk I can actually see the TV mast located on Clermont Carn. Do you think an indoor aerial would work?

If you can actually see it, there is a good chance that an indoor aerial will work. For best results have it pointing towards the transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

If you can actually see it, there is a good chance that an indoor aerial will work. For best results have it pointing towards the transmitter.

+ correct polarisation (that transmitter, Clermont Carn, is vertical, not horizontal.)

If its a loop type aerial, twisted by 90 degrees (for vertical polaristion), so may end up on its side

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80106216

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I had one of these, I am 6km from Spur Hill. It worked, most of the time. My average signal was ~45-50% for RTÉ 2's mux, and 50-55% for RTÉ 1's mux.

I picked up this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ACV7E0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, now my average signal on RTÉ 2's mux is ~60-70%, and 70%+ for RTÉ 1's.

One note of warning with the Amazon aerial - it's much bigger than you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Wonder if it can be adjusted to receive vertically polarised signals? Clermont Carn main station and most relay transmitters are vertically polarised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Iderown wrote: »
    Wonder if it can be adjusted to receive vertically polarised signals? Clermont Carn main station and most relay transmitters are vertically polarised.

SLx Digitop Indoor TV Aerial, 27769RG

From looking at the picture, it doesn't look like the horizontal UHF 'fin' aerial can be detached and re-attached vertically?

The manufacturers might mistakenly think UHF TV polarisation is always hortizontal ( as in America) everywhere !!

If it cant, just put the whole thing on its side such that the UHF 'fin' log-periodic aerial on it becomes vertical. Avoid the bottom of the UHF aerial touching anything (especially metallic), perhaps put it on top of a plastic box if needs be.

In both cases (horizontal or vertical) the short end of the aerial is towards the transmitter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Antenna wrote: »
    SLx Digitop Indoor TV Aerial, 27769RG

From looking at the picture, it doesn't look like the horizontal UHF 'fin' aerial can be detached and re-attached vertically?

The manufacturers might mistakenly think UHF TV polarisation is always hortizontal ( as in America) everywhere !!

If it cant, just put the whole thing on its side such that the UHF 'fin' log-periodic aerial on it becomes vertical. Avoid the bottom of the UHF aerial touching anything (especially metallic), perhaps put it on top of a plastic box if needs be.

In both cases (horizontal or vertical) the short end of the aerial is towards the transmitter

I have this, you can rotate the "fin part" 90 degrees if needed. I stuck mine on the wall with command strips...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »

Probably, an indoor aerial certainly worked for my friend out in Faughart.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭forfcksake

Looking for some recommendations for an aerial.

Plan to install in the attic, and point north east towards Cairn Hill (works for my parents house and I'm not too far away from them)

I was looking at https://www.diy.ie/electrical-security/tv-audio-networking/tv-accessories/tv-aerials.cat but wasn't sure on the differences between them.

Just wondering if anyone has some recommendations?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

Use the same one as your parents. It works.

Advertisement