Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling into party wall for TV bracket

Options
  • 06-02-2021 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm trying to put up a TV bracket and the one which I've bought requires me to drill into the party wall for 8cm screws. The house was built in 2004, I'm not sure of the depth but would there be any concerns here? The noise isn't great from the neighbours through the wall but it does seem to be a concrete block and doesn't seem to have plasterboard in front of it. I was hoping I could just get the job done in an hour or so when the neighbours next door are out, perhaps it is best to get their go ahead on it though. Any tips here?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Hi all,
    I'm trying to put up a TV bracket and the one which I've bought requires me to drill into the party wall for 8cm screws. The house was built in 2004, I'm not sure of the depth but would there be any concerns here? The noise isn't great from the neighbours through the wall but it does seem to be a concrete block and doesn't seem to have plasterboard in front of it. I was hoping I could just get the job done in an hour or so when the neighbours next door are out, perhaps it is best to get their go ahead on it though. Any tips here?
    Thanks

Check up and down for electrical points for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

make sure you have a good depth stop on the drill or you will have some explaining to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LeifErikson

make sure you have a good depth stop on the drill or you will have some explaining to do.
    I was planning on just taping up the drill bits, seemed fine before when dealing with masonry, I feel like I will have enough control for that to suffice.

I was planning on just taping up the drill bits, seemed fine before when dealing with masonry, I feel like I will have enough control for that to suffice.

nothing wrong with taping but its not going to stop you over drilling. i have done it a few times myself even with tape. 80mm into a 100mm block doesnt have much room to over drill

Hmob wrote: »
    Check up and down for electrical points for a start
    Would it not be very unlikely for there to be electrical points given the concrete? How would you check in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Doesn't seem to have plasterboard?

What does it seem to have then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Would it not be very unlikely for there to be electrical points given the concrete? How would you check in this case?

Look up and down for sockets/switches

Keep a bit to the side if there's any

lawred2 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to have plasterboard?

What does it seem to have then?
    Well when I knock on it, it feels rock solid. I guess that effect could happen if the concrete was right behind plasterboard. To be quite honest I don't know at all what the layering is here. I mean I would have expected some insulation at some point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can drill away once not a crazy times so do during the day so as not to wake anyone or give a heart attack...

If you are fitting to the party wall just be aware of vibration and sound travelling through much more.

If possible use wall to the side but only if possible.

You don't need to ask permission it's your place to do as you please.

nothing wrong with taping but its not going to stop you over drilling. i have done it a few times myself even with tape. 80mm into a 100mm block doesnt have much room to over drill
    That's interesting. Would it definitely be just a 100mm block? I figured there'd be more like 250mm between the houses.

• Advertisement

Well when I knock on it, it feels rock solid. I guess that effect could happen if the concrete was right behind plasterboard. To be quite honest I don't know at all what the layering is here. I mean I would have expected some insulation at some point too.

Shared walls would be just block and plaster in most cases.
    Rare to be insulated.

They may well be now but cost savings throughout they'd do the bare minimum.

Hmob wrote: »
    Look up and down for sockets/switches

Keep a bit to the side if there's any
    Fair enough, yeah it's all clear on that front.

Shared walls would be just block and plaster in most cases.
    Rare to be insulated.

They may well be now but cost savings throughout they'd do the bare minimum.
    That's interesting, thanks. So with regard to the block, is that 2 100mm blocks? It's hardly just one, right?

That's interesting. Would it definitely be just a 100mm block? I figured there'd be more like 250mm between the houses.

not always. espesially in older houses.
    i have learned my lesson doing this twice. thankfully no harm done but it could have been a horrible neighbor. both times they were nice and a bit of filler fixed it

That's interesting, thanks. So with regard to the block, is that 2 100mm blocks? It's hardly just one, right?

Can't say as so many different builds these days.

You will be fine putting a few screws into the wall, just don't get overboard on the distance you go in.

Get a Rawl plug put to the drill bit, tape just a little past the length, then drill in that far, job done.

Thanks a lot for all the responses here, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

If you up into the Attic and have a look at the Party Wall there it should show you what brick block was used as it should be the same except it won't be plastered.
    Party Walls in my experience were generally 4 x 9 inch Blocks laid on the Flat so you should be ok.

As always though proceed with caution. You don't want to drill through someone's Rembrandt hanging on the Wall.

sky6 wrote: »
    If you up into the Attic and have a look at the Party Wall there it should show you what brick block was used as it should be the same except it won't be plastered.
    Party Walls in my experience were generally 4 x 9 inch Blocks laid on the Flat so you should be ok.

As always though proceed with caution. You don't want to drill through someone's Rembrandt hanging on the Wall.

Thanks for that, I went up to the attic and sure enough, it looks to be exactly what you've described, which should give me plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Since you haven't started yet it might be worth my while sharing this information; although it does involve drilling a few more holes than just the bracket but is a much more tidy job with all cables hidden.

I've fitted a television to a neighbouring wall in an upstairs bedroom of our home,

I first chased away the plaster in the centre of the wall close to the ceiling and fitted some flexible drain pipe to house the cables, taking out the plaster allowed the pipe to recess closer to the wall as I later clad the wall which insulated plasterboard,

pmB4gSYPj

But for now; here's the Flexi drain pipe fitted to the wall and feeding up in to the attic space;

pnltXJqnj

The opposite end of these cables; come down from the attic through the ceiling on the opposite side of the room to an area above the wardrobe;

pn1RDcv6j

poz9pxq8j

I then purchased a length of rectangular air duct,

pn8quvPLj

Then cut to the required length followed by cutting around one inch out of both sides at the bottom of the length to allow the cables exit from the sides, it's stuck using "No More Nails"

poFkvTyyj

pnJ1sSjOj

Painted to match the room;

pncJwZ7Hj

Back to the main wall, had two sheets of insulated plasterboard delivered,

pnUOUPx7j

Along with some mushroom head express nails and massonary drill bit required for securing the insulated plasterboard sheets to the wall;

pmkGbrn0j

Looking at the wall in the room now; you will see I have a saddle board and banister piece of wood both purchased for less than 5 euro each from the local DIY store, there going to be used as a see-saw to assist fitting the insulated plasterboard sheets,

poIjJy5Gj

First I offered the first sheet up to the wall and marked out the insulation where it was corresponding with the pipe full of cables on the wall,

pnLWvod4j

As you can see I've cut away the insulation using a kitchen bread knife which is alot easier than chasing out block work to house the cables,

pnlhujGdj

Followed by cutting out the square section for a single DIN plasterboard socket box,

pnlhujGdj

Here's the overall picture ready for presenting to the existing wall;

pnVbOHHij

Ready to fit the plasterboard sheet now; myself and the wife positioned it tight to the corner while the bottom of the sheet rested on the see-saw,

poI2MndEj

I then got up on the ladder or chair if you don't have a ladder; armed with the rented SDS drill and purchased drill bit fitted,

pmrsNPBBj

The wife stayed on the ground; her job is to press down on the opposite end of the see-saw which in turn pressed the insulated plasterboard sheet tight to the ceiling,
    I then drilled the first hole; and she handed me an express nail along with the hammer to begin securing the first sheet to the wall,

After the top row of express nails were in; we could then remove the see-saw and it was a one person job to complete the installation of that sheet,
    Taking care of course not to drill anywhere inline between the socket and the ceiling or inline between the cables and the ceiling,

pmfjzX0yj

There we have the first sheet installed,
    I then fitted a double socket extension box which screws in to the original socket box and provides a newly extended face for re-fitting the socket,

pnNfizxIj

Aswell as a single DIN plasterboard box which I drilled the top section out of to allow all cables easily pass through;

pnDGOYnqj

Second sheet cut to size using a kitchen bread knife and fitted in exactly the same way as the first sheet,

po12Ch9gj

I then used a can of expanding foam to fill the gaps around the edge of the plasterboard sheets.

poUg8Fyqj

Trimmed it back slightly in from the surface and filled smooth with this very light Ronseal filler it dries fast and very easily sanded smooth, dries solid when painted.

pneqHwASj

• Advertisement

Here's how it looked after filling,

pnjXBAxsj

pnrBp0fmj

Quick sand with an orbital sander and P180 pad,
    Wipe clean with sugar soap solution ready for painting,

poSJxAsNj

You will need to do a bit more filling and sanding after the first Paint followed by painting again to complete, but once done then you can go ahead and fit the TV bracket,

pn8k5PKpj

I used RIG FIX to mount the TV bracket, there designed for fitting to insulated plasterboard, 16mm bolt in to wall, screw it in using an Allen key,
    Then there's an 8mm threaded hole in the centre to take a supplied bolt for mounting the bracket, so nothing is pressing on the actual plasterboard.

pnTqvCyJj

pocJg0Alj

Finally then fitted a brush plate around the cables and the television bracket,

poS6azGtj

pmjSZGtfj

Followed by the television of course and in my case the devices on top of the wardrobe,

pmLZEbDcj

pmBW2zoBj

Might help someone, thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭10-10-20

LenWoods wrote: »
    I've fitted a television to a neighbouring wall in an upstairs bedroom of our home,

Back to the main wall, had two sheets of insulated plasterboard delivered,

Why thermally insulate from the neighbours on the party wall? Unless they're running cold-storage upstairs, I see better use in putting the insulation on the external walls, no?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Why thermally insulate from the neighbours on the party wall? Unless they're running cold-storage upstairs, I see better use in putting the insulation on the external walls, no?

Significant Noise reduction between the walls,
    Although it's known as insulated plasterboard it also has significant noise reduction properties,
    The resonating noise from the television won't affect them,
    Also covering the wall to conceal the cables saved me from chasing in to the neighbouring wall in order to obtain the same results.

Where did you get the rigifix . They are supposed to be great but very hard to get

Where did you get the rigifix . They are supposed to be great but very hard to get

Bought them on eBay UK I think Screwfix also supply,
    There's more range on eBay UK compared to eBay.ie
    Just ship via AddressPal or parcel motel,
    Make sure you get the ones with an 8mm bolt
    First the I purchased I bought the wrong one came with a 6mm bolt in the centre,

That job was done three years ago now. Should be still available though as there very popular.
    Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rigifix-Heavy-Duty-Cavity-Wall-Fixings-For-Heavy-Duty-Hanging-TVs-M6-M8/200896080246?epid=1948402335&hash=item2ec656e976:g:gtQAAOxygPtS73oh

Advertisement