Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding middle name to my sons name

Options
  • 06-02-2021 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi everyone..just wondering is it possible to add my dads name as an additional middle name for my son. My son is 9 and this is something I've regretted for years. Tonight my son asked why he only had one grandas middle name. Is is possible to legally add an additional middle name to a 9 year old?

Comments

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Hi everyone..just wondering is it possible to add my dads name as an additional middle name for my son. My son is 9 and this is something I've regretted for years. Tonight my son asked why he only had one grandas middle name. Is is possible to legally add an additional middle name to a 9 year old?
    Are you Catholic? He could take it as a conformation name if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clones1980

Are you Catholic? He could take it as a conformation name if so.

I'm catholic but haven't practiced and haven't set foot in a church in about 10 years. I did think that but dont feel it's the same. I would love to acknowledge my dads name in my son as my siblings have no interest in having kids. Its probably more for sentimental reasons but none the less hes so close to my son and spoils him that I've regretted it since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It’s only a guess (and I’m not sure how it effects minors) but names can be changed by deed poll.

I'm catholic but haven't practiced and haven't set foot in a church in about 10 years. I did think that but dont feel it's the same. I would love to acknowledge my dads name in my son as my siblings have no interest in having kids. Its probably more for sentimental reasons but none the less hes so close to my son and spoils him that I've regretted it since
    Will he be making his confirmation anyway with school etc? If so worth thinking about as your dad could be his sponsor at it and it would be a nice thing for them both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭rock22

Have another child? ( sorry couldn't resist)

i think you can just change your name by usage. My name is not the name given on the birth certificate, however, it is the name i used all my life so is accepted by usage.

But, as a rule , we don't use middle names , so adding an addition middle name would probably not affect the name used by your son. Confirmation name would seem a good idea, . I assume all Christian religions have confirmation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

rock22 wrote: »
    Have another child? ( sorry couldn't resist)

i think you can just change your name by usage. My name is not the name given on the birth certificate, however, it is the name i used all my life so is accepted by usage.

But, as a rule , we don't use middle names , so adding an addition middle name would probably not affect the name used by your son. Confirmation name would seem a good idea, . I assume all Christian religions have confirmation?

Not all Christian religions take a name at confirmation, I think it's primarily a Catholic thing.

Changing a name by common usage is possible but I think the OP is asking about a middle name, common usage would really only have effect if you were referring to Harry as Bob for a period of time and again... Don't know how this would be possible or if it would have any effect for a minor, no official documents are usually required until teens.(if they were getting their own bank cards or something like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The OP would have to use all 3 first names when the child gets in trouble ;) !

The Simplest thing would be to ask the school to add the extra name to their records so in 2 years you have evidence of useage and can get that added to their passport

if the schools won't do that, then try sports clubs or other groups and try get some written and dated record of the name useage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is is possible to legally add an additional middle name to a 9 year old?

OP, I would think carefully before doing this. Your child could end up in all sorts of awkward situations if they have an extra name that appears on one personal document but not on another.

The best name to have is one first name and one surname, that way your driving licence and passport will be in sync with the likes of airline tickets, car rental bookings etc.

When I was renewing my passport about 8 years ago, I screwed up filing out the form and asked for both of my first names to appear on the new passport. A guy in the passport office actually went to the bother of phoning me to check if that's what I really wanted (it wasn't). He pointed out that I had only one first name on the old passport and suggested that there was no good reason to add more forenames, for the reasons I stated above.

So I can understand the sentiment and motives behind your plan but I would think twice before carrying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documentary-requirements/#proofofusageforachild

How does one add/change child's middle name in reality? Passport Service requires 2 years proof of usage of the new name (school reports, letters from family GP, certified copy of the child's medical card) however none of these institutions is likely to change the name if it doesn't match the passport. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

soirish wrote: »
    How does one add/change child's middle name in reality? Passport Service requires 2 years proof of usage of the new name (school reports, letters from family GP, certified copy of the child's medical card) however none of these institutions is likely to change the name if it doesn't match the passport. :eek:

I can see that that sounds like a 'chicken and egg' sitution but the name(s) on the birth cert. is usually the starting point, not the name on the passport.

To reiterate what I said above, my advice would be not to use any middle names. Stick to just one first name, even if that is not the name by which the person is known day to day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Section 25 of civil registration act allows for changes to forenames.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/3/section/25/enacted/en/html#sec25

Not sure what is required. Contact relevant civil register https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/contact-a-civil-registration-service.html#Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭feelings

Would you not leave him do it himself at 18 if he wants?

Advertisement