Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Hive Thermostat Receiver Wiring

Options
  • 06-02-2021 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, spent about 6hrs trying to find the answer to this today and would appreciate any help available.

I am in the process of replacing my old clock timer (AMT IMM24) which turns on/off my oil boiler with a hive single channel receiver.

I am not worried about the separately controlled water heater. Its simply the boiler coming on/off I am trying to control.

See attached photo which summarises current setup / planned setup. Also below:

AMT IMM24 Terminals
    3 - Neutral (currently both blue wires are connected)
    2 - Live In
    1 - Live Out (this goes to the boiler)
    Earth is tied off separately at both ends.

I had planned on doing:
    AMT 3 > Hive N (not sure if putting both blues in is an issue)
    AMT 2 > Hive L
    AMT 1 > Hive 3 (Heating on (NO) )

My main question is what to do with the extra blue cable:
    1. Connect both to Hive N?
    2. Connect the thinner 1 one only to Hive N?
    2. Keep both connected but separately to the hive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, its driving me nuts all day.

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moved thread to Electrical Forum, reminder to read the charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Both blues into hive n

Wire exactly as you described

Put an extra wire link between hive L and com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Yes as above

And make sure you've a way of isolating the supply within 2m of the boiler

Sometimes there's no local isolation present and on top of that the manual timer is replaced with a wireless receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 30 egg102530

Hmob wrote: »
    Yes as above

And make sure you've a way of isolating the supply within 2m of the boiler

Sometimes there's no local isolation present and on top of that the manual timer is replaced with a wireless receiver

Thank you for the reply.

Re isolation you mean a switch to override the power, i.e. stop the power going to the boiler?

Is the 2m relevant for any specific reason? Boiler is definitely more than 2m from the timer. But their may be something in the garage closer to the boiler for this which i will check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 egg102530

meercat wrote: »
    Both blues into hive n

Wire exactly as you described

Put an extra wire link between hive L and com

Thanks very much for confirming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

egg102530 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply.

Re isolation you mean a switch to override the power, i.e. stop the power going to the boiler?

Is the 2m relevant for any specific reason? Boiler is definitely more than 2m from the timer. But their may be something in the garage closer to the boiler for this which i will check.

Yes a double pole switch within 2m of the boiler to enable safe working on the boiler

Advertisement