Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet cable

Options
  • 06-02-2021 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions about them.

I got new broadband recently and there is a WAN cable and a LAN cable in the box, are these both Ethernet cables ?

Also I have a roll of cat 5e cable I’m thinking of making up a few cables to run along walls for my smart tv and Xbox in the room, but I’m wondering what’s the difference between cat 5/6/7 etc this cat 5e cable I have is very thin , a lot thinner than any Ethernet cable I’ve seen before , would this make any difference. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yes, they are.

Main difference between Cat 5,6,7 is speed. If you have a roll of Cat 5e, then I would just use that. Your Cat 5e roll shouldn't be that different from your WAN \ LAN cables. As you have a roll of the 5e cable it should have text every 1.5 meters or so, post what is written down and we can tell you what kinds of cable it is.

Just to note, I have some pre made Cat 6 cables which are quite thin but I have never seen a roll of cable which were as thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Yes, they are.

Main difference between Cat 5,6,7 is speed. If you have a roll of Cat 5e, then I would just use that. Your Cat 5e roll shouldn't be that different from your WAN \ LAN cables. As you have a roll of the 5e cable it should have text every 1.5 meters or so, post what is written down and we can tell you what kinds of cable it is.

Just to note, I have some pre made Cat 6 cables which are quite thin but I have never seen a roll of cable which were as thin.

Thanks for that. It says “ccs cat 5e 4pr u/utp pe external - 001-003-004-30 022m (19/08) 211189”

It says that every meter, so I’ll just need to get connectors and a crimping tool now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Lot of fake cable out there. Strip back a bit of insulation and check for proper twists and colour coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Nothing wrong with it from Ethernet prospective, but "external"...
    Is it flexible enough to run around corners
    https://www.connectixcablingsystems.com/cat5e-cable/20-external-cat5e-utp-solid-cable.html

degsie wrote: »
    Lot of fake cable out there. Strip back a bit of insulation and check for proper twists and colour coding.

I got this from work i highly doubt it’s fake as it’s a big company, I peeled it back though and there’s 4 pairs twisted together. Blue white , orange white , green white and brown white

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with it from Ethernet prospective, but "external"...
    Is it flexible enough to run around corners
    https://www.connectixcablingsystems.com/cat5e-cable/20-external-cat5e-utp-solid-cable.html

It’s the same box as the one in the link , and ya you may be right In saying it’s not flexible enough. I wouldn’t damage the cable by bending it though would I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Will be grand, dont kink it

Will be grand, dont kink it

If I’m running it along the ceiling and around corners it’s bound to get kinked though I’d imagine. I’ll see how it goes anyway. Cheers

Advertisement