Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip switch

Options
  • 06-02-2021 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering which trip switch cuts power to the isolation switch for my oven. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

kerdiff wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering which trip switch cuts power to the isolation switch for my oven. TIA.

Typically 32 amp MCB....Try the second from the right on the bottom row. Looks like it may be marked wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

Thanks for the reply, I tried that one but no go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

That is one weird distribution board

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Hmob wrote: »
    That is one weird distribution board

Agree
    Try the switch fused unit immediately to the right of lights kitchen (middle row). I’d hope there’s a 32amp fuse in it but it should be an mcb.pull the grey cover downwards.

Looks like there's 3 shower rcbos., No sign of a contactor for the priority control
    Presumably the spare was decommissioned because it's a C40?

2 main isolators in series

Switchfuse in the centre fused at 63amp,no reason for that to be there unless there's a 16sq distribution circuit going somewhere

6amp sockets mcb

No sign of a cooker mcb?

• Advertisement

That's actually a SP contactor on the top right ,. thought it was a current sensing relay

meercat wrote: »
    Agree
    Try the switch fused unit immediately to the right of lights kitchen (middle row). I’d hope there’s a 32amp fuse in it but it should be an mcb.pull the grey cover downstairs

Is there another fuseboard in the house somewhere else? Maybe that switch fuse is feeding a sub board which is feeding the cooker??

rob w wrote: »
    Is there another fuseboard in the house somewhere else? Maybe that switch fuse is feeding a sub board which is feeding the cooker??

Ya it's more than likely feeding a sub board maybe supplying the cooker

Op said oven so there's a possibility there's a gas hob and oven fed from a 20amp too I guess

The main isolator and the switchfuse in series is comical really

Not sure is there even a specific regulation to cover that scenario

And if all else fails just go through them one by one until the oven is off! I've seen boards not labelled correctly plenty of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Oven may be just plugged into kitchen ring.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Oven may be just plugged into kitchen ring.

If there is one. Looks like there's a bedroom ring circuit only.

I turned off the fuses one by one and the when I flicked the immersion fuse that turned off the immersion switch and the oven isolation switch aswell.

kerdiff wrote: »
    I turned off the fuses one by one and the when I flicked the immersion fuse that turned off the immersion switch and the oven isolation switch aswell.

Well you'd want to get a REC to look at that board, there's a few issues with the installation and probably more.

Hmob wrote:
    Well you'd want to get a REC to look at that board, there's a few issues with the installation and probably more.

Can you explain to me what's wrong just out of interest.

You have the immersion and oven doubled up on a 20amp mcb for a start

Your main fuse burnt out at some stage and was replaced with a switchfuse

You've a 63amp switchfuse in the middle of the board and a 6amp sockets mcb which would want to be investigated

Where there's smoke there's fire so there's probably more issues with the installation

Hmob wrote:
    You've a 63amp switchfuse in the middle of the board and a 6amp sockets mcb which would want to be investigated

Hmob wrote:
    You have the immersion and oven doubled up on a 20amp mcb for a start

Thanks for that Hmob I'll get some to have a look at it asap.

Advertisement