Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle rack

Options
  • 06-02-2021 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Can you fit a cycle rack to a caravan? I've seen loads of them on camper vans but can't recall seeing one on a caravan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think a Caravan would be up to the loading a bike rack puts on the body.
    Lots of Campervans have damaged rear walls from bike racks and they are generally a little stronger than Caravans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Gorteen wrote: »
    Can you fit a cycle rack to a caravan? I've seen loads of them on camper vans but can't recall seeing one on a caravan

Some caravans have a back wall designed to take a bike rack, but all the added weight could if not properly managed cause the caravan to become unstable resulting in dangerous snaking.
    Click Here, to see a better alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

either on the a Frame or roof rack on the car.

we had a tow bar bracket but we've been roof only for years now.

Means you can take the bike without having to take the caravan!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭pjordan

I made my own bike rack on the towbar/a-frame from a hitch and some 50mm box and some threaded bar onto which I affix my bike rack. I can post some pix if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

pjordan wrote: »
    I made my own bike rack on the towbar/a-frame from a hitch and some 50mm box and some threaded bar onto which I affix my bike rack. I can post some pix if you like?

Yes please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

I bought one of Amazon and attached to the frame at the front and will be using this year. There will be a few people saying about weight etc. I will be towing with an X5 so the weight won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

This is the one. Very easy to put on. You don't have to attach the cover again. I just did just to make it look a bit better. I have a 2 bike carrier that fits lovely on it, and the front hatch opens also.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭pjordan

Gorteen wrote: »
    Yes please

Here ya go. Hope these help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

pjordan wrote: »
    Here ya go. Hope these help.

A very cool idea which I've never seen before.
    Best of both worlds, Fix the carrier to the A-frame when towing or to the hitch when solo :)

Be careful when loading bikes on the A-frame the extra weight could put the nose weight out of the safety zone and cause snaking Click Here

To avoid this do check the nose weight when fully loaded up, including the bikes and re-check it when travelling without the bikes and make any compensations. Click Here

Advertisement