Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Rates 2021

Options
  • 06-02-2021 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    We're currently on a variable mortgage rate but looking to move to fixed for 3 years to save a few Bob. Last year's rates still apply, just wondering are we best going for that or waiting on revised rates.
    We're with Haven and will likely be staying with them for various reasons.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is a guessing game, but 2.55% is unlikely to drop much more. 1.95% is the current market leading rate for low LTVs and specific occupations only; and with Irish property being rather poor security for loans we will never get to the sub-1% rates available elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭budhabob

Cheers for that, I kinda thought myself the same but haven't been tracking it of late. Might just bite the bullet and move now and save some money

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Work out what each .1% is worth to you - if you sit six months on your current >2.55% rate and a new rate is 2.35% you may have cost yourself money.

But this is really all guesswork unless you have a mole deep inside Haven!

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

budhabob wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We're currently on a variable mortgage rate but looking to move to fixed for 3 years to save a few Bob. Last year's rates still apply, just wondering are we best going for that or waiting on revised rates.
    We're with Haven and will likely be staying with them for various reasons.
    Thanks in advance

Why ask if your just going to stay with haven? What are the reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If you can put a lump sum or some extra savings into your current variable rate mortgage, you might be able to save as much as you would switching to a fixed. Do the sums before you fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If you can put a lump sum or some extra savings into your current variable rate mortgage, you might be able to save as much as you would switching to a fixed. Do the sums before you fix.

This is the reason I went with variable originally, but given I've totally failed at putting any additional funds into the mortgage, I'm beginning to lean towards signing into a 1 or 3 year fixed rate and saving any lump sum amounts to repay when the fixed term expires. I actually think this is probably a much more sensible option for most.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

AngryLips wrote: »
    This is the reason I went with variable originally, but given I've totally failed at putting any additional funds into the mortgage, I'm beginning to lean towards signing into a 1 or 3 year fixed rate and saving any lump sum amounts to repay when the fixed term expires. I actually think this is probably a much more sensible option for most.

Fixed terms don't always imply you cannot overpay on your mortgage. Ulster bank (ok, maybe don't go with them now considering they might be leaving Ireland) allow you to overpay by 10% of the remaining balance annually. Others do similar options, though I think UB is pretty good in terms of allowing plenty of overpayments.

Advertisement