Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an air gap in stud walls?

Options
  • 05-02-2021 11:31pm
    Site Banned Posts: 10

hello Guys,

external stud wall which I am insulating between studs. Wall make up is block, cavity, breather membrane, plywood, 150mm stud. Quick question please for anyone who knows the answer. Can the insulation touch the plywood or should there be a gap. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

yes it can touch the ply. handy tip. nail it ti the inside of the studs as it tends to sag under its own weight over the years. You should also have a vapour barrier on top of the studs and rockwool before putting on the plasterboard

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Afgan

thanks Dok, appreciate the reply.
    I am glad you suggest that I can use the wool as I had thought I had to use rigid boards between the studs.
    Does that mean I can use 150mm wool between the studs?

Thanks again,

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

hello, I too would like to know this please if anyone has the time to answer. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Is this a shed you're building or a similar outbuilding? Your wall won't meet building regulations regardless of what you fill those studs with.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What is the purpose of the breather membrane in this wall build up?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    What is the purpose of the breather membrane in this wall build up?

Protecting the plywood while waiting for the blockwork to be built I'd imagine.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Afgan

Lumen, air,...do either of you know the answer to the question?

Your question was answered in the first reply which is why there was no further comment on that aspect.
    There is no issue with fully filling the stud.
    It's still a very poor wall buildup all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

air wrote: »
    Is this a shed you're building or a similar outbuilding? Your wall won't meet building regulations regardless of what you fill those studs with.
    air wrote: »
    It's still a very poor wall buildup all things considered.

How come. Isn't that the way most timber framed houses are constructed? 150mm is a pretty strong stud also so offers a good depth of insulation.
    Sounds like a better construction than the typical 9" cavity block shell drylined with 100mm of fiberglass.

I hope you are joking, 6in of fibreglass with intermittent cold bridging studs is nowhere near the elemental u value required of a wall under current building regulations.
    So no, it's not the way most timber frame houses are currently constructed.

I'm sure it was a fine wall in 1985, you'd probably have to go to 75 for the cavity block effort you've described though.

We really could badly do with some enforcement of building regulations to prevent rubbish like this being built.

You should consult a professional that knows what they are doing before you proceed any further.

• Advertisement
Advertisement