Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery light staying on - Avensis D4D

Options
  • 05-02-2021 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi Chaps, Battery light came on a few days back and stayed on 2011 Avensis 2.0 D4D. Stupidly I kept driving on it, was intending to look into it over the next few days.

Earlier this evening pulling into Tesco the dash pretty much lit up like a Christmas tree. Power steering warning, VSA, electric parking brake warning, lost power steering but other electrical items in the car seemed to stay going.

On the short drive home same thing happened again but not straight away after start up (although battery light was still on from start up).

My initial thought was the alternator but I would have thought the battery itself would have gone flat pretty quickly all the same before I would have lost power steering etc. I'm by no means an expert though.

I did take off without the silly electric parking brake coming off immediately a few days back it seemed and electric parking brake warning came on for a brief few seconds (I generally take it off myself manually before I move off).

I'm going to check the battery terminals for corrosion tomorrow and check the voltage across the terminals of battery with engine running and attempt to do the same at the alternator (I think it should be reading over 14 volts when car is running?).

Any ideas on anything else I can check myself or anything I may be overlooking?
    Typical, one problem sorted and something else happens:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Hi Chaps, Battery light came on a few days back and stayed on 2011 Avensis 2.0 D4D. Stupidly I kept driving on it, was intending to look into it over the next few days.

Earlier this evening pulling into Tesco the dash pretty much lit up like a Christmas tree. Power steering warning, VSA, electric parking brake warning, lost power steering but other electrical items in the car seemed to stay going.

On the short drive home same thing happened again but not straight away after start up (although battery light was still on from start up).

My initial thought was the alternator but I would have thought the battery itself would have gone flat pretty quickly all the same before I would have lost power steering etc. I'm by no means an expert though.

I did take off without the silly electric parking brake coming off immediately a few days back it seemed and electric parking brake warning came on for a brief few seconds (I generally take it off myself manually before I move off).

I'm going to check the battery terminals for corrosion tomorrow and check the voltage across the terminals of battery with engine running and attempt to do the same at the alternator (I think it should be reading over 14 volts when car is running?).

Any ideas on anything else I can check myself or anything I may be overlooking?
    Typical, one problem sorted and something else happens:rolleyes:

Had similar issue with my 09 avensis. Same as described then ended up car would start sometimes and sometimes it wouldn't. Didn't think it was the alternator myself but that's what it turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

It will be the alternator, and they are not fun to change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks lads, mk7r was thinking as much. Having a nosey around google it does seem it would be a bit of a hoor of a job to change alright. Looks like ball joint and driveshaft will need to be removed:rolleyes: Ideally a lift is required. Not a job for myself and my rudimentary tools I reckon.

Dinky earnshaw did you replace your alternator yourself or garage? How much did fiasco set you back can I ask?

Get your battery tested. I had a ****ton of hassle (and was sold the wrong battery which I brought back and was told was fine in a certain motor factors) and eventually got the alternator out and it was fine. New battery in a place that had a clue and everything was sorted.
    Different car (Focus) but kinda similar issue (mostly in cold weather). Warning lights on, gauges not working, power steering failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭passatman86

Alternator id say. Sounds similar to my one
    Mine went on my 10 avensis
    I changed battery first but didnt fix it
    Thinks there is 3 types of alternators for avensis
    Mine was the dearest one unfortunately
    About €450 fitted i think id have to check reciept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Thanks lads, mk7r was thinking as much. Having a nosey around google it does seem it would be a bit of a hoor of a job to change alright. Looks like ball joint and driveshaft will need to be removed:rolleyes: Ideally a lift is required. Not a job for myself and my rudimentary tools I reckon.

Dinky earnshaw did you replace your alternator yourself or garage? How much did fiasco set you back can I ask?

I picked up a reconditioned one in a place in Walkinstown (gives a years guarantee) and my mechanic fit it. Was a couple of years ago now think it cost about €300 including fitting.

Well Chaps, Just to give an update I'm motoring again and all seems good. I got an alternator for €70 from a breaker and €80 to fit in a small local garage - €150 in total. I know I'm taking a chance but on a 10 year old car its a chance I'm willing to take versus getting a lesser known brand at a motor factors or silly money from Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Well Chaps, Just to give an update I'm motoring again and all seems good. I got an alternator for €70 from a breaker and €80 to fit in a small local garage - €150 in total. I know I'm taking a chance but on a 10 year old car its a chance I'm willing to take versus getting a lesser known brand at a motor factors or silly money from Toyota.

You should refurbish your old one and sell it..

Truckermal wrote: »
    You should refurbish your old one and sell it..
    I took the old one way from the garage and all. I took off the plastic cap and nothing immediately apparent amiss apart from a lot of dust as would be expected. I can't take the main body apart as there are 4 size 8 bolts that the spanner is too big to get on them - limited access. I should be able to get a socket set of a friend that may work when allowed to float around again.

Advertisement