Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big PAYE change after marriage

Options
  • 05-02-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all

Hope you can help, bit confused here! We got married in October and changed our Civil Status from Single to Married in January and set my wife as the assessable spouse as she makes more. I just got my first payslip since and my PAYE has more than doubled, and my wife's was reduced a lot but it still looks like we're paying more tax than when we were single.

Would anyone know what's happened here? Or what forms/documents I should be keeping an eye on to check for changes in PAYE???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

frankiekk wrote: »
    Hi all

Hope you can help, bit confused here! We got married in October and changed our Civil Status from Single to Married in January and set my wife as the assessable spouse as she makes more. I just got my first payslip since and my PAYE has more than doubled, and my wife's was reduced a lot but it still looks like we're paying more tax than when we were single.

Would anyone know what's happened here? Or what forms/documents I should be keeping an eye on to check for changes in PAYE???

Sounds like you asked for some of your credits/rate band to be given to your spouse. Have you looked at your 2021 tax credit cert in your documents in your Revenue MyAccount?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 frankiekk

Sounds like you asked for some of your credits/rate band to be given to your spouse. Have you looked at your 2021 tax credit cert in your documents in your Revenue MyAccount?

Yep I think I've transferred all my personal credits! But wasn't expecting it to double my PAYE :( So I'm guessing I have to rebalance it somehow?

Advertisement