Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media 5Ghz

Options
  • 05-02-2021 8:34pm

Anyone else missing this now? My 5Ghz wifi disappeared today and a couple of resets hasn’t brought it back.

Comments

Has nobody else experienced this with the VM hub? I’ve had no 5GHz networks since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Do you know how to access the hub's configuration?
    If you haven't changed anything, your hub's IP address should be 192.168.0.1 and the password is written on the back or bottom of the hub. You need the admin interface password, not the WiFi password.

Open this in a browser: http://192.168.0.1 and input the admin password. Navigate to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
    and see if your 5G is enabled.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Do you know how to access the hub's configuration?
    If you haven't changed anything, your hub's IP address should be 192.168.0.1 and the password is written on the back or bottom of the hub. You need the admin interface password, not the WiFi password.

Open this in a browser: http://192.168.0.1 and input the admin password. Navigate to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal
    and see if your 5G is enabled.

I’d tried that first time round and it’s turned on. I turned the 5GHz off and then back on again just in case but they don’t show any more.

I’d tried that first time round and it’s turned on. I turned the 5GHz off and then back on again just in case but they don’t show any more.

You say 5GHz network is on in the hub. What channel selection? Is it on Auto or Manual? If Manual, what channel is it on?

Also, please check under Security and note the SSID value and the option to broadcast the SSID. If the network is on, but broadcast is off, then it won't appear when a device is looking for available networks.

You say 5GHz network is on in the hub. What channel selection? Is it on Auto or Manual? If Manual, what channel is it on?

Also, please check under Security and note the SSID value and the option to broadcast the SSID. If the network is on, but broadcast is off, then it won't appear when a device is looking for available networks.

Thanks. It’s on auto and channel 112 (20/40/80MHz). The second thing you said seems to have uncovered something though - the SSID for the 5GHz was the same as the one for the 2.4GHz, both were VMxxxxxxx instead of one being 5GVMxxxxxx. Won’t let me change it though as I get the following when I try:
    The service may be interrupted, temporarily inaccessible or encountering errors transferring data.
    Try Again

• Advertisement

Thanks. It’s on auto and channel 112 (20/40/80MHz). The second thing you said seems to have uncovered something though - the SSID for the 5GHz was the same as the one for the 2.4GHz, both were VMxxxxxxx instead of one being 5GVMxxxxxx. Won’t let me change it though as I get the following when I try:

Ah, yes. This is a well-known "feature" of the VM hub.
    Many people have reported issues with hubs configured this way. Personally, I chose to disable the 2.4GHz network completely, as this is how it works best for me. I do have some network devices that require 2.4GHz and for those I use a separate AP with a different name. It makes it clear when selecting a network for a device: if it supports the 5GHz, connect to it, or else connect to the 2.4GHz network. All separate, all working to the best they can.

I think your problem there is that you are connected wirelessly to the network and try to change wireless settings. It would be best if you only configured the hub while connected through an Ethernet cable, as not to lose connection completely. Not sure if that's the reason it won't work.

Maybe instead of renaming the 5GHz network, try renaming the 2.4GHz, see if that is allowed.

Ah, yes. This is a well-known "feature" of the VM hub.
    Many people have reported issues with hubs configured this way. Personally, I chose to disable the 2.4GHz network completely, as this is how it works best for me. I do have some network devices that require 2.4GHz and for those I use a separate AP with a different name. It makes it clear when selecting a network for a device: if it supports the 5GHz, connect to it, or else connect to the 2.4GHz network. All separate, all working to the best they can.

I think your problem there is that you are connected wirelessly to the network and try to change wireless settings. It would be best if you only configured the hub while connected through an Ethernet cable, as not to lose connection completely. Not sure if that's the reason it won't work.

Maybe instead of renaming the 5GHz network, try renaming the 2.4GHz, see if that is allowed.

I got it changed after but it’s doing odd things. Was the 5GHz SSID I changed but devices like Google displays no longer want to connect to their 2.4 that they were connected to. Might do a full reset from the settings. The 5GHz is working though and testing at 9x the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kooreczka

I had the same issue with VM hub and wfh I needed stable connection so got another router/ access point for other side of apartment, connected through ethernet port and seems to be fine since then I only kept 5ghz network on and it's not disconnecting anymore.

Advertisement