Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are FTTH Speed issues due to the supplier?

Options
  • 05-02-2021 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed various FTTH customers here complain about speeds not being what they expect.
    Now lets rule out the wifi/device etc issues and assume the speed test is from a wired to a capable device and the customers isn't getting expected speeds or more importantly drops significantly in the evening.
    Is there any correlation to this issue and any particular supplier?
    I notice that vodafone customers seem to be commonly appearing however is this just because most customers are vodafone due to price? Is it due to the supplier routing issues rather than fibre line itself?
    I'm with PURE siro and never had a drop in speed, it's always as expected.
    Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Customer -> Exchange - Handoff(OpenEir)//Handoff(Vodafone) - Vodafone POP - Peering - Speedtest Server

Thats roughly it. So if you're a customer trying to push 500Mb in Cork Vodafone probably have to have 500Mb of capacity between the handover in Cork to their facility in North Dublin, then on their peering either at the same site (CoLo with Eir, BT etc) or over to Citywest to hit many other networks.

If you've got lots of 70Mb VDSL subs a 10G circuit would probably do you. Add 100 1G subs to the mix and suddenly your loading is through the roof. These are all just fictional numbers but you get the idea. It looks like VF havent scaled to meet the demand. BT were there LLU partner so they may be using BT core like Sky do, not sure.

Caveat: A lot of the issues reported may be simply underpowered devices/software packet inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's just the luck of the draw, myself and my father were both with sky mine was unusable in the evenings and his was perfect. He was routed through cork and mine was routed through Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Rural Eir FTTH seems pretty problematic - anecdotal as I'm with Virgin, but friends of mine in rural co wicklow have had a nightmare with it being unusable most evenings but fine during the day and there was a dedicated thread here to rural FTTH issues. Was that just Eir? And only rural Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Very well explained. I've noticed people around complaining about vodafone but never about BT backhaul so that might explain it. Would make me think carefully about moving suppliers depending on the systems. Obviously price is king but you'd want a decent product that works well.

Advertisement