Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vermin Control

Options
  • 05-02-2021 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

What birds can be shot for vermin control where they're causing crop damage and attacking livestock? The Wildlife Act provides as list but has that been superceded by an EU derogation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Interesting that it clearly states it’s ok to shoot the winged vermin with a rifle or shotgun....I for years swore it was a non runner to do use a rifle for the job 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

tikkamark wrote: »
    Interesting that it clearly states it’s ok to shoot the winged vermin with a rifle or shotgun....I for years swore it was a non runner to do use a rifle for the job ��

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113874597

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tikkamark wrote: »
    Interesting that it clearly states it’s ok to shoot the winged vermin with a rifle or shotgun....I for years swore it was a non runner to do use a rifle for the job 🀔

Can’t hunt birds with a rifle under Wildlife act.
    The derogation is a temporary deviation from the act for control. Rifle permitted sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnner2

How do pest controllers get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Johnner2 wrote: »

That's what the Derogation is for, if for some reason the control of birds is not covered under the Derogation then a sec 42 can be sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Johnner2 wrote: »

Air rifles are legal to shoot birds with afaik
    Barns and farmyards using Air rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Air rifles are legal to shoot birds with afaik
    Barns and farmyards using Air rifle

You sure? I thought only derogation permitted it

viper123 wrote: »
    You sure? I thought only derogation permitted it

Afaik mate it's legal once its essential t farmers with proof of damage by said animal

Just to clarify this - all wild birds are protected - period. Certain wild birds - pigeons / duck / other wild game birds have hunting seasons. They may only be hunted with shotguns.

The Derogation or to give it it's full title EU Birds Directive Article 9 Derogations, in which -
    Ministerial Declarations for the Period May 2020 to April 2021
    Under the terms of the EU Birds Directive, all EU member States, including Ireland, are bound to take measures to protect all wild birds and their habitats. The Directive allows Member States to make derogations from its protective measures where certain wild bird species are causing damage to crops, livestock and fauna or represent a threat to public health or safety or to air safety.

This Derogation out lines the way the listed birds may be be controlled. If the species or circumstances does not fall in line with the terms of the annual Derogation then no control can take place.
    In fact if the Derogation is not signed and issued then there is no legal way of controlling pest birds except with the possibility of applying for a Section 42.

Be aware it is not as simple as just turning up and shooting say pigeons over standing crop the farmer is ment to inform the department of his intentions. So a days decoying over crop could go arse ways for you if the NPWS wildlife ranger wants to push it.

Before any one points out this is not about shooting over stubble it is the way crop protection etc is meant to be done.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify this - all wild birds are protected - period. Certain wild birds - pigeons / duck / other wild game birds have hunting seasons. They may only be hunted with shotguns.

The Derogation or to give it it's full title EU Birds Directive Article 9 Derogations, in which -

This Derogation out lines the way the listed birds may be be controlled. If the species or circumstances does not fall in line with the terms of the annual Derogation then no control can take place.
    In fact if the Derogation is not signed and issued then there is no legal way of controlling pest birds except with the possibility of applying for a Section 42.

Be aware it is not as simple as just turning up and shooting say pigeons over standing crop the farmer is ment to inform the department of his intentions. So a days decoying over crop could go arse ways for you if the NPWS wildlife ranger wants to push it.

Before any one points out this is not about shooting over stubble it is the way crop protection etc is meant to be done.

Exactly - well explained.

It's extremely important to examine the dates for each species in the derogation and the reasons for control given.
    There are different dates for different species depending on the damage or harm they are causing.
    There are also gaps in the year when species on the derogation cannot be shot.

Well I guess I'll shut my big mouth
    I honestly thought following lads on instagram that it was legal to air rifle pest birds

Simple hack, I mark the information on my phone calendar along with all the other hunting seasons opening and closing days etc, handy for planning days out etc, etc-

543324.jpg

I honestly thought following lads on instagram that it was legal to air rifle pest birds

You are right - it is legal under Derogation...just watch the dates allowed and the reason why....as it's not allowed the whole year round....depends on the species, the reason and time of year.

You are right - it is legal under Derogation...just watch the dates allowed and the reason why....as it's not allowed the whole year round....depends on the reason and time of year.

For example - you can't shoot rooks in June...unless they are damaging crops.

Advertisement