Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire size for video doorbell - advice appreciated

Options
  • 04-02-2021 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I want to fit a wired Eufy video doorbell and their support has told me that I need a transformer that is "30VA or higher".

I have a pretty new fusebox so should not have much of a problem changing that (currently 8VA).

However, the current wire to the door is just about .55mm diamater and I'm not sure if this is adequate. But it's a multi-core cable with lots of wires that are not used so I'm wondering if I should use two or three of these combined. The door is about 15m. from the transformer.

This is a pic of the wires at the current chime - any advice appreciated.

542089.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

What type of transformer have you currently, is it an 8 or an 8-24. A lot of the modern ones will take 24.
    Otherwise you'll need to get an REC in to do a DIN Rail installation of a new transfomer.

As for doubling up the wires, I think you can but I'm not sure what the regulations are. I would resleeve the cables at least to ensure that you can separate live/neutral. Also you'll need an REC here to connect on the consumer unit end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 KlArmy

Parallel conductors in final circuits less than 10mm not allowed

final circuit: a circuit connected directly to current using equipment or socket outlets

It's allowed I think, wouldn't be checked anyhow by inspectors I think?

Apart from the VA rating

I notice that the Garo Tranformers have no overload protection

Similar Hager transformers have short-circuit and overload protection

Worth keeping in mind , I've seen a few burnt out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

alan4cult wrote: »
    As for doubling up the wires, I think you can but I'm not sure what the regulations are. I would resleeve the cables at least to ensure that you can separate live/neutral. Also you'll need an REC here to connect on the consumer unit end.
    Are there even regulations that apply here? We're basically taking data cable voltages. Maybe when they're fixed.

Anyway those video doorbells are very low current, 1 pair should be fine.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Are there even regulations that apply here? We're basically taking data cable voltages. Maybe when they're fixed.

Anyway those video doorbells are very low current, 1 pair should be fine.

Probably not

Transformers do burn out especially without in-built protection so there is a potential hazard even at those voltages

• Advertisement
Advertisement