Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providing power to bathroom mirror separately

Options
  • 04-02-2021 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

We have a new build house with wiring for LED mirrors on the bathroom walls. At the moment when I flick the power switch the main light AND the mirror comes on. Would it be possible to have them powered separately?

I'm 99% sure there are two live wires coming from the switch that controls the bathroom. Can I take the one that powers the mirror and just move this to the top of the switch? It's a 3 button switch and the top row seems to be looped with live from left to right. I've posted two photos of the switch below. Please let me know if these are sufficient, if not I can post better ones.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/UT6fkHr

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

WLad wrote: »
    We have a new build house with wiring for LED mirrors on the bathroom walls. At the moment when I flick the power switch the main light AND the mirror comes on. Would it be possible to have them powered separately?

I'm 99% sure there are two live wires coming from the switch that controls the bathroom. Can I take the one that powers the mirror and just move this to the top of the switch? It's a 3 button switch and the top row seems to be looped with live from left to right. I've posted two photos of the switch below. Please let me know if these are sufficient, if not I can post better ones.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/UT6fkHr

Thanks.

That would work however you would need a switch on the mirror otherwise it’ll be on permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

meercat wrote: »
    That would work however you would need a switch on the mirror otherwise it’ll be on permanently

I think both pictures are combined into one for some reason, not sure how I did this. Yes the mirror has a button.

So I tried this this morning and no joy. I can remove the second live and it makes no difference. Everything still comes on in the bathroom. I'm not sure the 2nd live is actually doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I think both pictures are combined into one for some reason, not sure how I did this. Yes the mirror has a button.

So I tried this this morning and no joy. I can remove the second live and it makes no difference. Everything still comes on in the bathroom. I'm not sure the 2nd live is actually doing anything.

Is the second live feeding the next light in some other room or is there also a fan in the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

alan4cult wrote: »
    Is the second live feeding the next light in some other room or is there also a fan in the room?
    I never noticed the fan in that room. Yes I think you might be right and its feeding that. Am I out of options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

I never noticed the fan in that room. Yes I think you might be right and its feeding that. Am I out of options?

Just check it and find out if they can be separated

When I was doing domestic work I would switch them separately , you have the option to change then

Main light and wall light on one switchwire is plain wrong

Permanent feed to wall light ( non shaver) isn't appropriate either though not against rules

• Advertisement
Advertisement