Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodger wanting to use deposit as last month's rent

Options
  • 04-02-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I initially had an issue with a student I was renting to, not wanting to pay for holiday periods, though that was the initial contract. Now, I have an older lodger who wants to use the deposit, as the last month's rent. I am not happy to do this, as I believe her room is in a very messy state (her door is locked, and I would't go in there anyway,) as I did see into her room when she briefly left the door open. There appeared to be lots of sellotape marks all over the walls, and it was extremely untidy - it was repainted just before she rented it, so just want to ensure that she leaves the room as she found it. I have said she cannot use the deposit as the last month's rent, but she is refusing to pay the rent for this month? Any advice on this would be really helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If she is lodging with you in your own house you can tell her to leave straight away unless the rent is forthcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Mooooo, thanks for your reply. Do Covid eviction regulations not apply to lodgers? When she gave me her notice, I said she would have to pay the last months rent. I confirmed it via email, but she is now 3 days overdue with her rent. I feel really disrespected!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hannaho wrote: »
    Hi! Mooooo, thanks for your reply. Do Covid eviction regulations not apply to lodgers? When she gave me her notice, I said she would have to pay the last months rent. I confirmed it via email, but she is now 3 days overdue with her rent. I feel really disrespected!

OTF if not paid by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭slystallone

Advertisement