Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online ticket competitions - thoughts

• 04-02-2021 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people think of those online ticketed competitions. I first heard about them when everyone was trying to get a PS5 and Facebook pages were setup selling for raffle tickets €10 with only 2000 tickets available to with a PS5.

I saw an add on my Facebook today for https://mckinneycompetitions.com/and and after taking a look I feel like the odds of winning are decent compared to things like the lotto (obviously you win more with the lotto...hence the greater the odds, i know)

Example: (https://mckinneycompetitions.com/competitions/live/?id=277) £15.00 a ticket for a 2019 BMWX5 with a maximum of only 5799 tickets available. Buy as many tickets as you like. So if you bought 1, you have a 1 in 5799 chance of winning. Still very slim yes, but better than some odds you get...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The only people winning from these draws are the organisers and the person holding the winning ticket.
    5799 tickets at £15 is £86,985 if all sold, prize is £20,000.
    If the draw is legit and that's the total number of tickets available, then you know you have a one in 5799 chance of winning.
    Might be better than the Lotto but there are also smaller prizes and a charity/good causes involved.
    You'd be better off doing a draw between your friends, work colleagues and family members and avoid the organisers profit margin.

The PS5 draws on Facebook made the people hosting the draw a fortune as so many people were looking for them and that meant loads of people bought
    tickets in the hope they were the one and only winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Just wondering what people think of those online ticketed competitions. I first heard about them when everyone was trying to get a PS5 and Facebook pages were setup selling for raffle tickets €10 with only 2000 tickets available to with a PS5.

I saw an add on my Facebook today for https://mckinneycompetitions.com/and and after taking a look I feel like the odds of winning are decent compared to things like the lotto (obviously you win more with the lotto...hence the greater the odds, i know)

Example: (https://mckinneycompetitions.com/competitions/live/?id=277) £15.00 a ticket for a 2019 BMWX5 with a maximum of only 5799 tickets available. Buy as many tickets as you like. So if you bought 1, you have a 1 in 5799 chance of winning. Still very slim yes, but better than some odds you get...

There’s a good few of these around now, almost all Facebook. A lot of them are Northern based and the cars aren’t VRTed so if you win a £50k bmw you might have another 20k to just get it into the country.

There’s a few like FDR that generally do smaller numbers and cars that are a few years old, and to be fair the profit margin should be someway visible, 2000 €20 tickets for a 3 year old Audi worth 32k doesn’t need a mathematician to work out.

Whether they’re worthwhile or not is your own decision, definitely focus on finding ones with lower profits for the organisers and cars that really would be of value to you.

Also think, you will probably never win one of these, would you be better served by taking that weekly €20 and putting it into an accumulator of some sort at a similar odds. €20 following 3 matches and 2 horses vs waiting for a Facebook page with a number randomiser are very different experiences to me

Advertisement