Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair- how to fight these bastards?

Options
  • 04-02-2021 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Trying to obtain a refund in lieu of voucher...everytime i fill in their form the information pops up that I booked via external website and need to go through the verification which is absolute bull**** as i booked directly. Either way did that for one of my reservations just to see what happens and guess what? They got back to me saying they are posting me a cheque hahaha Apparently it’s from German bank and pretty much impossible to cash in in Ireland.
    And if it is, it takes 10 weeks (!)

Any idea how to get the refund for my other booking/voucher? Thinking of taking them to small claims court, any idea how they will refund if taken that way? Cheque as well? Assuming at least Irish one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

uli84 wrote: »
    Trying to obtain a refund in lieu of voucher...everytime i fill in their form the information pops up that I booked via external website and need to go through the verification which is absolute bull**** as i booked directly. Either way did that for one of my reservations just to see what happens and guess what? They got back to me saying they are posting me a cheque hahaha Apparently it’s from German bank and pretty much impossible to cash in in Ireland.

Any idea how to get the refund for my other booking/voucher? Thinking of taking them to small claims court, any idea how they will refund if taken that way? Cheque as well? Assuming at least Irish one?

Of course you can lodge a cheque, like majority of people do with a cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭uli84

Of course you can lodge a cheque, like majority of people do with a cheque

Ok i worded it wrong, however, I don’t have a bank account in here (only Revolut) and the cheque is in Polish currency and issued by the German bank, even if I find a bank in Ireland willing to take it (how many banks are here? 3? 4?) without me having an account with them the charges related to cashing it will probably wipe its value (100€ roughly after conversion), do you still think this is fair? I also mentioned to them I’m from the high risk group and would prefer a bank transfer but sure they wouldn’t care. Surely all my friends received their refunds to their bank accounts, I must be on their “black list” or smth

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ok i worded it wrong, however, I don’t have a bank account in here (only Revolut) and the cheque is in Polish currency and issued by the German bank, even if I find a bank in Ireland willing to take it (how many banks are here? 3? 4?) without me having an account with them the charges related to cashing it will probably wipe its value (100€ roughly after conversion), do you still think this is fair? I also mentioned to them I’m from the high risk group and would prefer a bank transfer but sure they wouldn’t care. Surely all my friends received their refunds to their bank accounts, I must be on their “black list” or smth

Lodge it in your own bank account in your home country??

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Did you pay with credit or debit card? If so, contact whoever you hold the card with and start a chargeback.

Credit union will lodge that cheque for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

anacc wrote: »
    Did you pay with credit or debit card? If so, contact whoever you hold the card with and start a chargeback.

That might be too late, depends when it was originally paid. I think there's a 6 month window.
    Also, bank probably won't entertain because technically the op has been offered a refund.

To thine own self be true

anacc wrote: »

120 days have passed so I think I’m out of this option unfortunately left it for too long

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Lodge it in your own bank account in your home country??

Don’t have the account there either and don’t think I will go there anytime soon with the fines, tests and all that so that option is out unfortunately.

Refund goes back to the source. Did you book using Skyscanner or similar?

I have received multiple refunds all into the bank direct. Since had to be chased but that's it.
    Don’t have the account there either and don’t think I will go there anytime soon with the fines, tests and all that so that option is out unfortunately.

Post it!

Sounds to me like your are being very arkward here. Open a bank account ffs or post the cheque or get it lodged into a friend's account.

There's plenty of options and out of curiosity, how do you get paid from your job?

Refund goes back to the source. Did you book using Skyscanner or similar?

I have received multiple refunds all into the bank direct. Since had to be chased but that's it.

Post it!

Sounds to me like your are being very arkward here. Open a bank account ffs or post the cheque or get it lodged into a friend's account.

There's plenty of options and out of curiosity, how do you get paid from your job?

I booked directly on their website but they blank point refuse to refund me to the source. Guess I am unlucky.

Sorry if I’m awkward but honestly thought the cheques were a thing of the past.

• Advertisement

Fly BA

Edz87 wrote: »
    Fly BA

Don’t think I’ll be flying anywhere anytime soon BA or not BA to be honest, I’m well discouraged at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jhansynk10

Log a small claim under EU 261 and assign to Swords District Court. Forward on the notification to the Ryanair agent email (at this point you won't have paid the fee). Then give it a week. They'll most likely come back to you before you need to pay the fee.

jhansynk10 wrote: »
    Log a small claim under EU 261 and assign to Swords District Court. Forward on the notification to the Ryanair agent email (at this point you won't have paid the fee). Then give it a week. They'll most likely come back to you before you need to pay the fee.

People are so quick to jump at this. He got a refund in the currency he booked in so what is he supposed to be looking for financially? Its not Ryanairs fault he doesnt have any form of a bank account and is unwilling to use a number of perfectly reasonable options.
    I booked directly on their website but they blank point refuse to refund me to the source. Guess I am unlucky.

Sorry if I’m awkward but honestly thought the cheques were a thing of the past.

Again, you my have been redirected to their site but either way, thats neither here nor there now anyway.

Lodge the cheque into a friends credit union or bank account and they can give you the cash.

You can open a credit union account in 5 mins with I.D. and proof of address.
    Lodge cheque, allow it to clear. Withdraw money. Close account if you want (there are no charges for a CU) account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg might be your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ryanair- how to fight these bastards?

More like I got my refund but don't know how to cash a cheque.
    TBF that's not Ryanair's problem but yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lavish

Use credit union, may be it will help you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I got the same notifications about 3rd party/screen scraper websites with my booking refund requests. I just went on to their live chat to explain it wasn't the case and they made sure I was in the refund queue, money back in my credit card after a few days.

Advertisement